Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resetting BIOS Password

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 MWisBest

MWisBest

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

Well that's my laptop. Well, my sister's, but she needs help. She wants me to install Linux for her alongside Windows 7, Mepis in particular (that's what I use). I've told her how handy it comes in when you need to recover data, and I guess she wants to at least install it. I don't know how much she'll use it, but that's really not important to me.

The Problem: I have to go into the BIOS settings on this computer to enable the F12 boot menu, and I set a password on it a while ago because I didn't want her messing with that stuff but I forgot it. I've heard about KillCMOS but I need to run it from DOS, which I do not have. I don't have a Floppy Drive on here either (of course). If only Windows had a setting to 'boot from CD on reboot' or USB drive. Then I could probably figure out a way to run DOS and say bye bye to password to install Mepis. Or heck, just boot right from the Mepis CD I have.

I'm also willing to go the other route and take it apart and mess with some stuff inside, as this wouldn't be a first time and I'm highly advanced with computers.

This obviously is not a password to boot the computer, just to enter the BIOS.

Gateway tech support is a joke. I sent them an e-mail and they say I have to send it in to get the password reset for $99, and saying that it's not supported to install an OS OVER Windows, when I specifically told them that I was dual-booting. So it was probably some automated stuff... I don't know.

Thanks for any help you may give me in advance. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Forgot to say my current OS. Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Edited by MWisBest, 27 April 2010 - 02:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:44 PM

I think this is against forum rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

I understand that your intentions are good and you are most likely telling the truth but any discussion on how to do this could be picked up by a bad guy and be used for bad purpose.

This topic will most likely be closed.

Edited by computerxpds, 27 April 2010 - 02:46 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

Indeed, as computerxpds already stated, we do not help circumventing security measures, such as this password is.

See also the board rules