Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GRUB Error 18

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 prillio

prillio

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:40 PM

Does anyone know the solution to this?

I'm dual booting with XP and Ubuntu

I want to either fix GRUB or just delet grub and ubuntu togethe so i can access XP

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:58 PM

This sometimes happens if Windows and Linux occupy the same physical hard drive. To fix this, you need to boot the system from a Windows Recovery Console CD, select "R" for Repair, and then run fixmbr (fix master boot record) at the command prompt in C:\windows (brief fixmbr tutorial). This will remove GRUB, restore the Windows bootloader and make Linux unbootable, but it will not remove Linux.

If you don't have a Windows Recovery Console CD, you can make one (you'll need a functioning Windows computer with a CD burner and a blank CD) by downloading Artellos' Automated Recovery CD Creator (ARCDC).

To use ARCDC:
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop. Read this tutorial if you need to learn how to burn an ISO image to CD.

Edited by Andrew, 27 April 2010 - 01:01 PM.

#3 prillio

prillio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

This sometimes happens if Windows and Linux occupy the same physical hard drive. To fix this, you need to boot the system from a Windows Recovery Console CD, select "R" for Repair, and then run fixmbr (fix master boot record) at the command prompt in C:\windows (brief fixmbr tutorial). This will remove GRUB, restore the Windows bootloader and make Linux unbootable, but it will not remove Linux.

If you don't have a Windows Recovery Console CD, you can make one (you'll need a functioning Windows computer with a CD burner and a blank CD) by downloading Artellos' Automated Recovery CD Creator (ARCDC).

To use ARCDC:

• Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop. Read this tutorial if you need to learn how to burn an ISO image to CD.

I have the rcover console cd
I tried to repair using fixmbr but it doesnt do anything

It just makes a new command line like its ignoring the previous one

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

Try this: OS-Prober

#5 prillio

prillio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:48 AM

Try this: OS-Prober

Ok, I shall try this when I get home

*fingers crossed*

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

GRUB legacy error messages for reference:
http://www.uruk.org/orig-grub/errors.html

Also, I have had good luck with the super grub live cd in the past:
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/2677-super-grub-disk-live-cd

It may not fix your specific error but running it (without doing something active) can sometimes help you to understand what grub is seeing. Sometimes error messages are not specific enough if there is more than one problem or a hardware issue is masking it.

Most if not all current distros use grub2 but it is not always obvious. The docs on grub2 are also more arcane for some reason. Maybe since it is still being actively developed :

Grub 2 Basics
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

#7 prillio

prillio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

GRUB legacy error messages for reference:
http://www.uruk.org/orig-grub/errors.html

Also, I have had good luck with the super grub live cd in the past:
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/2677-super-grub-disk-live-cd

It may not fix your specific error but running it (without doing something active) can sometimes help you to understand what grub is seeing. Sometimes error messages are not specific enough if there is more than one problem or a hardware issue is masking it.

Most if not all current distros use grub2 but it is not always obvious. The docs on grub2 are also more arcane for some reason. Maybe since it is still being actively developed :

Grub 2 Basics
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

I actually have the disk for super grub and ran it

but when i try windows it gives me BSOD with error being 0x0000007b if I remember right

Edited by prillio, 29 April 2010 - 04:16 PM.

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:15 AM

Is this drive on a sata controller? Did you load the f-6 sata controller drivers?

I have one box with two complete xp partitions and one ubuntu partition on it. I had to edit the grub menu by hand if I remember correctly to add the second xp. You must get the xp running first and then run grub to add it to the menu and rewrite the mbr.

There are more complex ways to do this but I don't remember them well enough to talk you through it.

Did you do a repair install on the windows partition?

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,870 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:01 PM

In the link below are instructions for using a tool that I have used in the past. It completely removes Ubuntu and returns your Windows back to the way it was before installing Ubuntu.
Read the instructions carefully. Easiest way I have found for accomplishing that.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=113630

Once you have used the tool and Windows still won't boot, I would suggest you try Andrew's fix again. If that does't work I would suggest you get a file recovery tool that will boot from the
CD/Rom and recover what files you want to save, then reinstall Windows.

There is another suggestion I saw mentioned on the web. Here is a link to it. I have not used the recommendations there nor have a comment on them.
http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/11/how-...r-and-boot.html

EDIT: I have seen the problem you have being associated with not defragging Windows before partitioning or not allowing Windows enough HDD space.
I installed 10.4 yesterday in a dual boot with W7 and just wanted to add that I have not had any issues. Unlike all the other distros I have used. Knock on wood!
All software including graphics card and printer are working correctly.

Edited by buddy215, 30 April 2010 - 06:46 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users