Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

outlook 2007 and gmail account :(

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bebo

bebo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:25 AM

hello everyone. I am new here and this is my first post here.

I have been trying to configure outlook (2007) with my Gmail account but it is very frustrating. The folder locations are set to some strange location. I searched on the web for a tutorial or something but could not find anything that could help me properly setup outlook with gmail. What is also frustrating is that the labels do not work in outlook.

Then I learned about a 3rd party tool called gmail drive but it looks more like a virtual drive. Besides I could not set it up properly. Wanted to know if there is a tool out there which can allow me to solve the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

Hi, I have my gmail coming through Outlook 2007, this article may help http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer....mp;answer=77689
MCP
MSDST

#3 bebo

bebo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:45 PM

thank u monty007. I did go through this article and have tried it in the past but am not clear about the difference between POP and IMAP. If you read my post my main issues are:

a) How do I change the location of the folder. Outlook has some default folder and regardless of what i did, i just could not delete the default folder AND change the location of the new folder (pst file) in which I was going to receive the emails from my gmail account. e.g. I want the new pst file to be residing in C:\MyMails\gmail.pst but i just could not do it

:thumbsup: Have tried IMAMP but the problem is that it does not download the complete mails and only the headers and requires me to be online if I want to download any particular email. What I want to do is to download all my emails.

Edited by bebo, 27 April 2010 - 11:15 PM.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:18 AM

Hi bebo, sorry I have now linked the pop setup for gmail and 2007 http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86374 This is only for pop.
MCP
MSDST

#5 bebo

bebo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:00 AM

Hi Monty007.

thanks. i was able to download the emails using the imap tip you share before. I found the solution to download all email (not just headers after using google for 3 days). I like the imap option because it allows me to download emails as per the labels and so i get emails in separate folders (unlike pop which does not offer this feature). Right?

Before I continue (to my main problem) can u pls answer some basic questions:
When using IMAP and when in outlook, I move mails from one folder to another or delete some mails, will it get deleted from my actual gmail account too? If no then great but if the ans is yes then how do I stop this from happening

Now the problem (which is a little frustrating): After doing the initial thing in outlook and downloading the emails, I moved the files from
C:\Documents and Settings\bebo\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook to a folder called C:\Gmail Bkup

Then i started outlook again and the silly things first prompts me to select which profile I want to use. I never defined any profile option :flowers: Anyway, I click OK on the box that appears and outlook opened and asked me for the location of files and i selected the files from C:\Gmail Bkup. Outlook opens and shows me the emails. Ok so far.

Now I go into Tools | Account Settings and select the Data Files tab. NOte that at this point my default data file location is set to PST file sitting in C:\Gmail Bkup.

So I try to delete the PST file shown under C:\Documents and Settings\bebo\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and it gives me a msg saying that
This data file is associated with a mail account. To remove it use the 'E-mail' tab.

Then I go into C:\Documents and Settings\bebo\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and while outlook is open, I shows a lot of files as if they are in use. Why is it still treating C:\Documents and Settings\bebo\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook as the folder where my files are location when I have already changed the location of my files :thumbsup:

I hope you are understanding my problem.

Okay now a question which is not really directly related but I would like to know the answer. Since I have saved my password of outlook so it's probably hiding somewhere in the registry (in a well hidden manner typical of microsoft). How do I find where it is hidden so that I can remove it before someone get's hold of my gmail password. Many people use my computer sometimes and I don't want them to know my gmail password. Can you ro someone kindly recommend a good tool which i can use to see hidden passwords and take the required action.

Sorry for bothering you and thanks you for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users