A friend asked me to check out his XP SP3 computer. It has a number of problems which I cannot figure out:
- No network (all adapters are missing)
- Forced to Windows classic theme
- McAfee is disabled - you can click the icon in the taskbar but nothing happens
- I can scroll through event logs but cannot open them
- Several computer services appear to be stopped, and I cannot start them
- System Restore is not working with a message "System restore cannot protect your computer"
Is there anything I could do in Windows before resorting to further malware removal attempts?