Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Computer goes into save mode and will not boot up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 crystalm36

crystalm36

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hello,
I am running a Dell XPS 420 Intel Core 2 Windows Vista and the display monitor will turn off and when you try to turn it back on it says "Entering Power Save" on the screen and then the screen will go black. And no matter what I do, I can't get it to boot back up, I have tried tapping F8 to start in Safe mode and it won't even let me do that. The tower just runs, and it sounds louder than usual and the monitor stays black. I have been trying to work with the computer, I noticed that the keyboard's lights are not working so that would explain why I can't hit F8 to start in safe mode. Plus there is a solid amber (maybe you could call it orange) colored light on the power button on the tower. And both cd trays will not open. I even tried to plug in a new monitor and it does not work either. It turns off the monitor and when you turn it back on then it says "entering power save" and then goes black. I tried turning off the tower and monitor and letting it sit overnight and still the same happens when I try to turn it back on.
Also, when I opened the tower and looked inside, in the upper left hand corner behind a plug is green but in the very lower part on the bottom right hand side is amber looking color light button.

What do you think could be the problem?
Thanks for any help given
Crystal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

I am just sending you a quick reply letting you know I am researching your problem and will return shortly with some suggestions for you to try.

In the meantime I am providing you with a link which is related to your XPS 420 desktop computer at the Dell web site.

This link here is to an on-line downloadable version of your owners manual.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...20/en/index.htm

I will post back shortly with some suggestions, but in the meantime you can look through these documents.

Best regards.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:31 AM

Here is an important piece of inforamtion I found.

I F THE POWER LIGHT IS BLINKING BLUE
The computer is in standby mode. Press a key on the keyboard, move the mouse, or
press the power button to resume normal operation.
USB keyboard and mouse wake up the system if these devices are configured as wake
up devices in the operating system devices properties. Otherwise, press the power button.
I F THE POWER LIGHT IS OFF The computer is either turned off or is not
receiving power.
Reseat the power cable in the power connector on the back of the computer and the
electrical outlet.
Bypass power strips, power extension cables, and other power protection devices to
verify that the computer turns on properly.
Ensure that any power strips being used are plugged into an electrical outlet and are
turned on.
Ensure that the electrical outlet is working by testing it with another device, such as a lamp.
Ensure that the main power cable and front panel cable are securely connected to the
system board (see "System Board Components" on page 103).
I F THE POWER LIGHT IS BLINKING AMBER The computer is receiving electrical
power, but an internal power problem may exist.
Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location
(if applicable).
Ensure that all components and cables are properly installed and securely connected
to the system board (see "System Board Components" on page 103).
I F THE POWER LIGHT IS STEADY AMBER A device may be malfunctioning or
incorrectly installed.
Remove and then reinstall all memory modules (see "Memory" on page 104).
Remove and then reinstall any expansion cards, including graphics cards (see
"Removing a PCI Express Card" on page 121).
I F THE POWER LIGHT FLASHES AMBER AND THEN GOES OFF It can be an internal
power problem.
Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board
power connector (12VPOWER). (See "System Board Components" on page 103).
ELIMINATE INTERFERENCE Some possible causes of interference are:
Power, keyboard, and mouse extension cables
Too many devices connected to the same power strip
Multiple power strips connected to the same electrical outlet

Be back in a bit with more.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Man_or_Astroman

Man_or_Astroman

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

You could swap in a power supply of equal or greater wattage. If that does no good. Then we've ruled out the power supply as the problem. Next likely cause I think would be the motherboard..

Edited by Man_or_Astroman, 27 April 2010 - 10:36 AM.

Do your part and SANITIZE. Keep your computer virus-free.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:39 AM

To help troubleshoot a problem, your computer has four blue lights labeled 1,
2, 3, and 4 on the top bezel. When the
computer starts normally, the lights flash before turning off. If the computer
malfunctions, the sequence of the lights help to identify the problem.

Do you see any status on the above mentioned lights at all? If you do, can you please post back which of these lights, light, if any?

Refer to them as number 1,2,3,4 etc. please.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 27 April 2010 - 10:42 AM.

#6 crystalm36

crystalm36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

The 4 lights do not light up but there is a blue light beside the four lights that is lighting up, not sure what that is, it looks like a box with two little boxes connected to it.
I am waiting for my husband to get home and maybe he may know how to do what all you have suggested to do, I don't know what the parts are inside of the computer and maybe he may know.
Thanks for helping me

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:09 PM

The 4 lights do not light up but there is a blue light beside the four lights that is lighting up, not sure what that is, it looks like a box with two little boxes connected to it.
I am waiting for my husband to get home and maybe he may know how to do what all you have suggested to do, I don't know what the parts are inside of the computer and maybe he may know.
Thanks for helping me

You bet, Just have him post when he is on line, also that link I provided above has both a html and pdf copy of the owners manual, I would go with the pdf version and save it to your computers desktop, it has a lot of troubleshooting tips as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users