Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU usage 100%

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Matt87

Matt87

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:52 AM

explorer doesn't load, and when i try to open any windows related program, it doesnt load and it show as 100% or 99% cpu usage on task manager

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 16:49:58, on 26/09/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Macromedia - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:49 AM

Hello Matt87 and welcome to the BC HijackThis forum. The first thing we need to do is update the operating system on this computer.

Your operating system is extremely out of date. By not keeping the OS updated the computer is vulnerable to every infection on the net and in emails today and trying to repair an unpatched system is virtually impossible. For update purposes, Microsoft has even stopped supporting a system that is this far out of date. Go to the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1.a site and install Service Pack 1a.

Once that is done, go back to the Windows Update site and install all available Critical Updates but do not install SP2 at this time. This will patch the system with the most current security fixes and plug all the known holes which are present on this system. If you are not on a broadband connection the Service Pack can be obtained from Microsoft for a nominal shipping fee.

After all of the updates have been performed post a new HijackThis log back here using the Add Reply button and I will review it when it comes in.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 Matt87

Matt87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 04:45 PM

ive downloaded the update
when update.exe opens the cpu usage goes to 90 or more and nothing happens after that?
it seems to be happening with all windows programs
thanks
matt

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 07:40 AM

Hi Matt87. The update will scan the operating system to determine which portions are in need of updating. This can take some time so just let it run.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#5 Matt87

Matt87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 05:02 PM

ok
i tried again
i waited for ages and it didn't even show up on the screen
i then changed the priority to 'above normal' and the CPU usage went to 99% and still nothing happened
thanks
Matt

Edited by Matt87, 03 October 2005 - 02:30 AM.

#6 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:15 AM

Hi Matt87. Do you know which process is utilizing the CPU usage? Press ctrl-alt-del and click on the Processes tab. Look down the list and see which process is using the most cpu cycles and let me know.

There is nothing out of the ordinary in the HijackThis log so there really isn't anything I can tell you to remove. You might want to post a question in the Windows XP forum and see what they have to say. They deal with setup and configuration issues.

Cheers.

OT
OldTimer

Posted Image

#7 Matt87

Matt87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:49 AM

svhost theres 2 of them taking about 49% each
ill post in the other section now to see what they say