Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window 7 vs Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Murrar

Murrar

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:27 AM

I have Windows XP on my computer. Are there any reliable statistics available that would tell me approximately what percentage of Windows users are using Windows XP and approximately what percentage of Windows users are using Windows 7? Thank you very much. Murrar

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:51 AM

Well, its anybodys guess. A lot of folks moved on, just because they bought a new computer and it came with Vista and a free upgrade, or built a new computer and had to buy a new OS.
Lots of us have the old computer still happily plugging away on it with XP. Till death do us part. :thumbsup: Go XP

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:33 AM

Well...the fact is that XP is unlikely to be found on any system made by OEMs (HP, Toshiba, eMachines, etc.) in the last 6 months or so...and is highly unlikely to be available on a new system in the future.

Additionally...Microsoft support XP (XP has existed since 2001) is going to end, according to This Schedule.

And many of us XP-users...also have Win 7 installed on systems we own.

If you visit the Windows 7 forum, you will see a number of names that were frequent fliers here in the XP forum. That may not be particularly meaningful...then again, it may be.

Time does move on and a 9-year run for any version of Windows...is the current record, I believe.

Louis

#4 Brad1973

Brad1973

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:27 AM

Windows XP is the only version of Windows I have never cursed at incessantly. I understand all the issues that people have brought up with it over the years, but in terms of layout and how user-friendly it is, it remains my favorite. It seems that Microsoft hit SUCH a home run with XP and many of its products from that time period (Office 2002) and people like me have been using them for SO long that Windows 7 and Office 2007 seem alien and I struggle to learn to use them well. I accept that Windows 7 is here to stay and XP will be buried soon, but I for one wish that the new windows was essentially XP with the issues that people complain about fixed.

RIP Windows XP.......

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:48 AM

Valid...but...I think if you try Win 7 and use it for 1/2 the time period that it took you to get comfortable with XP (some folks still aren't comfortable with it), then I think you will see it as a step forward for most users.

Experienced/knowledgeable users can float from one O/S to another, but I believe that Win 7 is made for the vast majority of users who are not comfortable or understanding the basic workings of XP...Win 7 has more things simplified that should be valid user concerns...as it should, since it has 9 years of learning from XP users.

I think that the tendency for humans to pretend that "tomorrow" is going to be just like "yesterday"...well, that tendency will have humans standing in place while the rest of the world moves forward, albeit slowly.

I like my childhood...but I always looked forward to getting much older than I was at the time. Aging is it's own standard-bearer of "progress", "improvement", and "change". I suspect that there will never be another Windows version that breathes for 9 years on systems and I also suspect that there will be many improved versions of Windows.

I've seen Win 3.1, Win 95, Win 98, Win 2K and Win XP...and I have licensed copies of Win 7. The differences from beginning to end...all benefit the user who (like me) who initially sees a computer as a "complicated TV set". Just a retrospective view :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 April 2010 - 08:48 AM.

#6 Brad1973

Brad1973

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:35 AM

I totally understand what you mean. I'm sure after nearly a decade of getting cozy with XP I am simply so comfy that any change will be alien. However, I will say I have never resisted a change like this one. When 3.1 became 95, I was OK with that. I hated Windows 98. 2000 and Me were simply "ho hum" but XP was an absolute landmark to me. For the first and still only time, I was almost instantly saying "YES! This is what we've been waiting for for so long". My experience with Vista is limited as everywhere I have worked in the last 10 years still operates on XP, but it's my understanding it's simply a bloated heavy version of XP with hardware incompatibilities thrown in for good measure.

Maybe it's just that it's taken Microsoft a decade to come up with a meaningful way to improve on XP, given how widely successful it was. I loved XP from day one. Windows 7 is taking longer...... and you're probably right - I never stuck with any previous system for even close to this long - not since my Commodore 64 anyway :thumbsup:

#7 Brad1973

Brad1973

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

If I may add.....

Given that XP has been the dominant OS since 2001, many people under the age of 20 have never even been exposed to another OS. I'm not one of them, but for my kids for instance, there's never been anything BUT XP. For them it's like "EVERY computer is just like this one, right?", and for a long time, they were more or less accurate in that statement.

Microsoft is now the victim of its own success with XP, I suppose. For every other version of windows, there were always droves of people just waiting on edge for the new and improved edition, but XP was good enough that many people didn't care if another version of windows EVER came out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users