Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

6 month build...issues....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 griefaments

griefaments

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:27 AM

I have had a new build for 6 months and I have run into some issues. I was running windows xp with no problems. However, I updated to windows 7 and I get random moments of "non- responding" when I use different programs and firefox. I am hoping you guys can point me in the correct direction. I have just done a clean install. I have been up and running for 2 hours and have had non-responding issues a few times already. Thanks in advance...

-4 GB 2 x 2 GB PC2-6400 240-pin DIMM DDR2 Memory Module Kit
-22x IDE Internal Dual Layer Dual Format DVD -RW Drive
-500-watt StealthXStream Power Supply
-150GB SATA 3Gb s Hard Drive 16MB 10KRPM 3.5IN VelociRaptor
-1tb Sata drive
-ANTEC GEAR FOR GAMER NINE HUNDRED ATX MID TOWER 9 0 0 USB2.0 IEEE AUDIO ROHS
-56-in-1 USB 2.0 Memory Card Reader Writer
-P5N-D LGA775 ATX Intel Processor Motherboard
-GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB GDDR3 PCIe Graphics Card with EcoIntelligence Low Power Design
-Intel core 2 quad
- windows 7 64 bit

I am running avast for security.

EDIT: Moved from Internal Hardware to more appropriate Win 7 forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 27 April 2010 - 09:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

I'm assuming your hardware can handle Windows 7? From what I can glean from your specs, it looks like it should.

Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?

Were you able to find all the Windows 7 drivers you need?

When you say it ran XP fine, but Windows 7 quibbles, it makes me lean towards possible hardware incompatibilities, driver issues, etc...
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 griefaments

griefaments
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

I'm assuming your hardware can handle Windows 7? From what I can glean from your specs, it looks like it should.

Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?

Were you able to find all the Windows 7 drivers you need?

When you say it ran XP fine, but Windows 7 quibbles, it makes me lean towards possible hardware incompatibilities, driver issues, etc...

I appreciate your response. Yes, I ran the windows 7 upgrade advisor and I am supposed to be able to run windows 7. I scanned for drivers with device doctor and the drivers and it says I have "0" devices that require a driver update.

I just got this email from microsoft. Wish me luck...

"I would be happy to assist you.

From the description, I understand that after upgrading to Windows 7 you are receiving the "Not Responding" error message often.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience and I apologize. Please be assured that we will do our best in assisting you with this issue.

We have seen similar issues in the recent past and were able to successfully resolve them. This issue normally occurs due to the following reasons:

1. inadequate drivers for the hardware devices.

2. Conflicting applications and programs.

3. Corrupted user profile.

4. BIOS might need to be updated.

During the course of troubleshooting, if we find that the issue is with any Non Microsoft programs or applications, you need to contact the appropriate manufacturer for further assistance.

To rule out the possible conflicts listed above and get a faster resolution, we shall go ahead and try the following steps:

Step 1: Run Inbuilt troubleshooter for performance.

Step 2: Check with Safe Mode

Step 3: Perform clean boot.

Step 4: Perform Hardware Clean boot.

Step 5: Uninstall antivirus software.

Step 6: Check with New User Account.

Step 7: Upgrade the BIOS.

Please follow these steps, and do contact us if you have any questions.

Step 1: Run Inbuilt troubleshooter for performance. This tool identifies the common errors conflicting with the system's performance and tries to fix them.

1. Please, click on StartąControl PaneląTroubleshooting.

2. Then, click on View All on the left pane of the window.

3. Select Performance from the list and continue with the instructions.

4. Restart the computer after the tool is complete and check for the issue.

Step 2: Check with Safe Mode. Safe Mode is a diagnostic mode wherein only the basic drivers and Microsoft services are loaded.

Note: Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs do not run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed.

1. Restart your computer.
2. When the computer starts you will see your computer's hardware being listed. When you see this information start to gently tap the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows 7 Advanced Boot Options.
3. Using the Up/Down arrow keys to select the Safe Mode option.
4. Press the Enter key on your keyboard to boot into Windows 7 Safe Mode.
5. When Windows starts you will be at a typical logon screen. Login to your User Account and Windows will load the Desktop of Safe Mode.

If the system works fine in the Safe Mode, please go ahead with the Step 3.

Step 3: Perform clean boot. Clean boot: To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Note: If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to modify the advanced boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable.

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
2. Click Start, type "msconfig.exe" (type without quotes) in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.
3. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
4. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
5. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Note: Following these steps lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

Click OK, and then click Restart.

If the computer works fine in clean boot, it means certain Non Microsoft Program is interrupting. To find which program is causing this issue, execute step 2 to step 6 to find which application is causing the issue and uninstall it.

Step 2: Enable half of the services.
Step 3: Determine whether the problem returns.
Step 4: Enable half of the Startup items.
Step 5: Determine whether the problem returns.
Step 6: Resolve the problem.
Step 7: Reset the computer to start as usual.

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual. How to set your computer back to boot normal:

6. Click Start type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
7. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
8. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
9. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Please look at this link for more information http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Step 4: Perform Hardware Clean boot. This step helps us in identifying any hardware devices conflicting and updates the driver software for them.

1. Click on Start, type device manager in start search box and press enter to open device manager window.
2. Click on + sign next to Sound, video and game controllers to get the devices listed. Right click on each device under Sound, video and game controllers and select disable.
3. In the same process, click on + sign next to the Network adapter, right click on the devices listed and select disable.
4. Disconnect the entire external hardware devices connected to the computer (leaving keyboard and mouse).
5. Restart the computer, login back to the windows and shutdown the computer to check if the issue persists.

If the problem is fixed then you can enable the hardware devices one by one to find the exact device that causes the problem.

After you found the device that causing the problem you can resolve by installing updated drivers.

Step 5: Uninstall antivirus software. We remove the antivirus software in the computer to check if it is conflicting with the performance. You need to have installation disc or online source to reinstall the antivirus software.

1. Click Start, and then type appwiz.cpl in the Start Search box.
2. In the Programs section, click appwiz.cpl.
3. Under Uninstall or change a program, click Antivirus Software you want uninstall, and then click Uninstall.
4. Close Programs and Features.
5. Restart the computer after the removal is complete.

If the computer works fine then, please contact the A\programs manufacturer to install the updated antivirus program.

Step 6: Check with New User Account. If the above steps still do not help us, then, we will create a new user account in case the current user profile is corrupted.

1. Click Start
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click User Accounts and Family Safety and/or User Account (depending on your view settings)
4. Click Manage another Account
5. Click Create a new account
6. Type the name of the user account
7. Click the account type (make it administrator if you are replacing an administrator account)
8. Click Create Account
9. Log off the current user
10. Log into the new user.

Test to see if you can access the website in Internet Explorer 64-bit/32-bit in the new user account. If you can, then, follow these steps to copy over your old user profile data to the new user profile.

1. Log out of the new user
2. Log into the old user
3. Click Start
4. Click Documents
5. Click Tools (Press Alt if Tools isn't visible)
6. Click Folder Options
7. Click View
8. Click Show hidden files and folders
9. Clear Hide protected operating system files
10. Click OK
11. Navigate to C:\Users\<old username>
12. Select all files and folders except files that contain Ntuser.dat, Ntuser.dat.log. Ntuser.ini.
13. Click Edit (Press Alt if not visible)
14. Click Copy
15. Navigate to C:\Users\<new username>
16. Click Continue
17. Click Edit (Press Alt is not visible)
18. Click Paste
19. Check the Do this for all current items box
20. Click Yes
21. Check the Do this for all current items box
22. Click Copy and Replace
23. Check the Do this for all current items box
24. Click Continue
25. Log off the old user
26. Log back into the new user.

Note: If you have e-mail messages in an e-mail program, such as Windows Mail, you must import your e-mail messages and addresses to the new user profile before you delete the old profile. If everything is working properly, you can delete the old profile.

Step 7: Upgrade the BIOS:

BIOS (Basic Input/output System) the initial function of the BIOS is to identify, test, and initialize system devices and they also provide a small library of basic input/output functions that can be called to operate and control the peripherals. Every computer manufacturer provides BIOS updates to their computers. This update would configure the Computer hardware configuration and ensures that it is made compatible with latest Operating Systems like Windows Vista and Windows 7. I would suggest you to get in touch with the Computer Manufacturer and get the latest BIOS updates installed on the computer.

I am eagerly waiting for the results of the troubleshooting steps. Did this troubleshooting resolve the issue?

Please reply to us on the status after performing these steps. Your reply is very important for us to understand if this issue has been resolved. If the issue remains unresolved and if any error message pops-up while performing the above steps, please reply to this mail with the specific error message (If possible) for further research. We'll respond in the next 24 Hours once we get a reply from you.

Note: In order to ensure proper delivery of your response, please verify that the Email address in "To" field and the Subject are not modified or deleted.

You might get a message after replying to our email stating that you have reached an Unmonitored Mailbox. Not to worry, your message is redirected to us through the mailbox server and any information you send will be added to the case notes automatically. Please do not to edit any information in the subject line as you hit the "Reply" button.

* Kindly provide us your US/Canada Phone number and a preferred callback time, so that we can contact you if required regarding this issue.

* Our Callback Support Hours :
Monday - Friday : 05:00 AM - 09:00 PM Pacific Time
Saturday - Sunday: 06:00 AM - 03:00 PM Pacific Time"

EDIT: Edited quoted email for clarity, ease of reading ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 27 April 2010 - 09:41 PM.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:07 AM

Well, that is pretty much the advice I would give for troubleshooting....they just have it in one long list. Try that stuff (one at a time until you experience the same problems or not) and post back with the results. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 griefaments

griefaments
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:24 AM

Here are the results:

Step 1: starup programs found.

Program name: C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVCpl64.exe -s
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Input Director\InputDirector.exe" /hide
"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe" /nogui
Result- problem still persisted.

Step2: check with safe mode
Result- this is really unverified. It was difficult for me to really operate as I normally would in safemode.

Step 3:clean boot
Result-error happened. firefox freezes up. won't allow for close of browser. notepad froze, etc.

Step 4: perform hardware clean boot.

Result- this step really doesn't allow for programs to operate at full function since you are removing the network
adapter. It is hard to tell if the problem would still be present.

Step 5: remove avast
Result- Still got not-reponding message firefox

Step 6: check with New User account:
I have created a new administor user account. However, I have been unsucessful is tranfering over the old account files and folders because of permission setting. I am trying to figure that out.

Step 7: according to asus my bios is up to date.

Additional steps taken I removed Firefox and avast. I am installed Microsoft security essentials. I will see how things go. Hope someone has some thoughts.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:37 AM

Your Power Supply is not sufficient for your build. Your video card needs a 400 Watt supply with 26AMPS on the +12 Volt Rails. Yours is only providing upwards of 36 amps total with 10 amps to spare for other components.

+3.3V@30A,+5V@30A,+12V1@18A, +12V2@18A,-12V@0.5A,+5VSB@2.5A

Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amps)

Can you download http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1788/mirrors.php and get the exact model number of your video card.

Edited by cryptodan, 29 April 2010 - 02:45 AM.

#7 griefaments

griefaments
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:29 AM

Your Power Supply is not sufficient for your build. Your video card needs a 400 Watt supply with 26AMPS on the +12 Volt Rails. Yours is only providing upwards of 36 amps total with 10 amps to spare for other components.

Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amps)

Can you download http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1788/mirrors.php and get the exact model number of your video card.

So, I want to be clear. This power supply I currently have in this build is not sufficient?
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/powe...am_power_supply

I ran techpower and:
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

So, I want to be clear. This power supply I currently have in this build is not sufficient?

I ran techpower and:
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

You need a beefier power supply something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139012

#9 griefaments

griefaments
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:32 PM

I ran techpower and:
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

You need a beefier power supply something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139012

So you think upgrading the power supply will rid this non-responding issue? Thanks in advance for your advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users