Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting stuck in Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cinni_Mini

Cinni_Mini

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:18 AM

Hello All!

I am trying to "fix" my mother's laptop that has boot problem amongst other things. When I power on I get the Dell splash and then black screen with the cursor up top on the left..hanging basically. She does not have the Windows installation CD (can't find it), I can't boot into safe mode (obviously), and I am hitting a wall in the steps of recovery console. This is what I have done so far:

1. Burned an ISO CD to boot. I can get to the Recovery Console and type in "R" and it takes me to the prompt C:\>
2. I have done CHKDSK C: /r with the result of: The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems
3. Ran diagnostics and received failure of DST Short Test once and then ran it again on another day and it passed...

Basically I am just stuck on what to do next at the C:\> prompt. I am not asked for a password of any kind. I don't really know what to do next and I appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

You need to run the long test on the hard drive, using the appropriate diagnostic tool available at the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

Before doing that, I suggest that you move any data files deemed valuable...from the hard drive they are currently on.

The inability of chkdsk /r to complete...normally indicates either a file system or a hard drive problem. Although somewhat different, each typically has the ultimate same result, a clean install of the O/S and loss of possible continued access to files on the drive.

Louis

#3 Cinni_Mini

Cinni_Mini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:05 PM

Hi Louis,

Thank you for your quick reply. I will try and run that today and see what I get. My mom is aware of the fact that she may in fact lose whatever she had on the hard drive, and that is okay. So far every avenue I have looked into told me that I would need to do a clean install. Problem is....she does not have her Windows XP installation CD.

I will post results of the long test as soon as I can complete it. Thanks again for the response!

Mahalo,
Cinni_mini :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users