Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootable Partition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wizardofaus

wizardofaus

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:36 AM

This one is driving me mad...

I had Windows XP Sp2 installed on the C Drive of my PC. (so far so good)

Unfortunately, I have had issues with the hard drive before (It suddenly loses the system) but I did a clean install and all was working fine for a month. Then I had the "cannot find system 32" thing happen again.

I got peeved, and installed XP SP2 on the 2nd (D Drive) as a clean install, then deleted the windows folder from the C Drive.

Now when I boot up, I have to chose between OS's - one on the D Drive, and one on the C Drive (which doesn't have an OS). Even weider, when I remove the C Drive, and use jumpers to make the D Drive the master drive the computer says that there are no bootable drives and will not start. I have changed the bios settings and boot order settings

Is there a way to make what was the D drive my main drive, and remove the C Drive? (Without doing another clean install?)

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't quite work out what to search for...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:54 AM

Simply put, Yes.

I assume you mean you have two HDDs? Particularly when you mentioned Jumpers?

when I remove the C Drive, and use jumpers to make the D Drive the master drive the computer says that there are no bootable drives and will not start.

The exact same thing will apply if you have two Partitions on the same HDD, called C: and D:.

Installing any Windows OS on two Partitions or HDDs will always lead to a BIOS Conflict. Windows gets confused.,

It is a Handy trick to enable a Save of Data to another Partition/Hdd, but has the Problem that you see.

If setting your D:Drive up as Main drive does not work to show it as C:Drive to let your BIOS recognise it as C: Drive could indicate Malware.

Just set up D: Drive as Main Drive and remove all Partitions on it, then reset Partitions, reinstall Windows XP. Leave off the C:Drive while you do it. Then set the C: Drive as a Slave.

Post back, if it is different?

Malware is suspected.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 27 April 2010 - 04:11 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:16 AM

no Malaware - It's a completely new system and has never been online.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:52 AM

wizardofaus, I suggest that if you boot up from the XP installation CD with just the drive that was your D: drive set as Master, and choose to do a Repair Install, there's a fair chance it could be repaired as any corrupted Windows installation.

If you're not familiar with the Repair Install:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:54 AM

Sorry? you did say this?

I had Windows XP Sp2 installed on the C Drive of my PC. (so far so good)

Unfortunately, I have had issues with the hard drive before (It suddenly loses the system) but I did a clean install and all was working fine for a month. Then I had the "cannot find system 32" thing happen again.

Then this?

I got peeved, and installed XP SP2 on the 2nd (D Drive) as a clean install, then deleted the windows folder from the C Drive.

Now when I boot up, I have to chose between OS's - one on the D Drive, and one on the C Drive (which doesn't have an OS).

Sorry if I misunderstood you, Mate.

Please follow on with what Platypus recommends, as a fellow Aussie, it is so simple.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 27 April 2010 - 07:56 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users