Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very strange virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fabled

Fabled

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:29 AM

First of all let me say I am quite tech savvy, and that i know my way around a computer very well. More to the point an hour ago i was simply browsing facebook, when out of nowhere, some random program was installed on my computer along with win 7 defender. Win 7 defender then started to scan my computer, and then a web page popped up and told me it had allegedly found pirated files on my computer. I then noticed that my computer had been connected to some random wireless connection, which i quickly disconnected from. From there i was able to close pop ups and force uninstall one of the programs that it installed. The problem is that now it has locked my desktop background, and displayed a picture of police tape saying do not cross and some anti-piracy thing in the middle. Here's the catch; Every time I boot into windows 7, everything has been disabled and removed from visibility, except a sole internet explorer page, exclaiming i have illegally downloaded files and that i am going to receive a subpoena in a week. If i click one the page it opens a new page asking for credit card info, name and billing address saying that i must pay for the files i have apparently downloaded, yet no real form of credentials. It also claims that it will drop this subpoena if i pay. I'm assuming this is some hardcore trojan of sorts, and am guessing i should just reinstall. Any other suggestions?

Fortunately i have Ubuntu linux installed on my computer so i was able to boot into linux just fine.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:32 AM

Have you tried safe mode and malwarebytes

#3 tidus1492

tidus1492

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:42 AM

I signed up specifically to post. This happened to me as well a few hours ago, I took out the source hdd from my infected cpu and have put it in my 2nd pc, I got eset antivirus installed and am scanning it with that. Will likely format and start over on the hard drive. I got the same police tape desktop and unable to do anything, I got tonnes of trojan warnings and such from win7 defender. I am also pretty techsavvy and I don't see what could have caused this. I didn't notice the random wireless connection that you did but I didnt look for it.

I was browsing ebaumsworld or something using google chrome at the time it happened.

Edited by tidus1492, 27 April 2010 - 06:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users