Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Running Very Slow..Particularly During StartUp

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 Tarboro

Tarboro

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:24 PM

Greetings!

I have Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. I will need to upgrade to SP3 soon. My computer runs very slow during startup, and its functionality remains slow for the most part. The computer use to get Virtual minimum memory too low messages. My computer has 352 MB of RAM. Accordingly, I raised the virtual memory initial size to 526 MB and the max was raised 10 1056 MB. The computer still runs slow, and before I uninstalled Spybot it regularly froze. But even now unless started in safe mode, its functionality is almost impossible due to incredible slowness. Is it due too much anti-virus/spyware. I got it all to protect my PC. But I have noticed that PC Tools Spyware Doctor does use a considerable amount of the CPU.

I have the most up-to-date Norton Antivirus. I have PC Tools Spyware Doctor 7.0.0.545 and also had Spybot Search and Destroy. Also, have Malwarebytes Anti-malware and PC Tools Registry Mechanic 9.0. I recently had virus issues and I was very concerned that some softwares weren't picking it up (I managed to remove the rootkit issue). The functionality of the OS is still very slow...possibly because of it. I'd appreciate any assistance or advice in correcting the issue. Currently, the functionality of the system is a mess and is incredibly slow.

Thanks again!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technomashup

technomashup

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:17 AM

Hi,

First of all, I am not a certified computer technician or anything. I am just basing this on my experiences with computer troubleshooting.

Based on how you described your system, I find that the following may be the cause of your PC slowing down.

1. Too many antivirus/antispyware. One (or two) is enough as long as it is a very good one.

Solution: Uninstall the spyware programs that you think are not doing their job. I recommend that you install the official Microsoft Essential which you can find here. Just select first your operating system, in this case Windows XP, before you download. I also recommend using this one together with a USB Flash Drive Antispyware such as USB Virus Scan 2.3 which you can find here. USB Virus Scan is just a backup in case MS Essentials cannot detect the spyware. USB Virus Scans automatically scans and removes viruses from USB Flash drives. This combination works well for me.

2. Norton Antivirus really consumes a lot of computer resources/memory and you will really experience slow computer performance since you have a limited RAM

Solution: Uninstall Norton Antivirus and replace it with Microsoft Essentials. MS Essentials uses only a small percentage of computer resources, which I think is best for your system.

3. Your RAM is so limited at 384 MB even for Windows XP. Virtual memory helps but it doesn't help that much. Physical RAM is still the best way to go. Its cheap nowadays, anyway.

Solution: Buy additional RAM but be sure it is compatible with your motherboard and your existing RAM so you will not waste anything.

4. You hard drives may be nearly full. As you may have already know, Windows XP uses hard disk space as a physical RAM (virtual memory) as need arises.

Solution: Use the built-in disk cleanup utility of Windows XP to clear out unnecessary files. Back up files which are important but rarely used or you can just buy additional hard drive. You can also use the free CCleaner utility to just easily clean up your system. You can find CCleaner here.

5. You hard drives may heavily fragmented. Every now and then, hard drives need to be defragmented so the system can easily and efficiently access files on your hard drives thus reducing read/write access time

Solution: Use the built-in defragmenter of Windows XP. It may take about 2 to 4 hours of defragmenting. You can also use PerfectDisk. This is the best defragmenter I have used so far. Here is the link.

6. Your system may have a lot of startup programs and some of them may not be that important.

Solution: Click Start > Run... then type "msconfig" to System Configuration Utility. Click the Startup Tab and review all the entries. Uncheck those programs which you think (to the best of your ability) are not important. You can also post the list here so I or someone can recommend which programs are not necessary.

7. Your system may be infested by a lot of spyware.

Solution:

7.1. One way that you can detect if your computer is infected by a spyware is by running the registry editor and the task manager. If your system prompts that the Administrator has restricted access to registry or task manager. To do run registry editor or task manager, just click Start > Run then type "regedit" or "taskmgr". Please do note that this is just one way but definitely not the only way.
7.2. We can also help you with your spyware trouble if you conduct a scan of your system using HiJackThis which you can find here. Then posting the result here in this forum so we can identify trouble points in your system.

As you can see, there are numerous factors that may cause the slowing down of your computer but just try doing the above things and just keep me/us posted through this forum. I will be glad to help you.

I hope this helps.

Comments and corrections are also welcome.

#3 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for the response. I do suspect that I have too many anti-virus softwares. I am not sure which ones to remove at this point unfortunately. Of the ones I listed, I'd appreciate expertise on which ones out of those I should remove. You had mentioned Norton Antivirus. Although, to be honest, Norton has been rather effective in the past for me.
Yes, the RAM is limited and that's what is likely causing some of the issues. I am not familiar with purchasing RAM. How is the installation process?
Spyware had been an issue, and that's what led to the increase in anti-virus/anti-spyware software to make sure that it all got eradicated.
There is still about 13 GB left of physical space on the hard drive out of 33. Not perfect but not horrible at this point.

I ran msconfig. Here are the startup items:
qttask, realsched, jusched, pctsTray, ctfmon, Adobe Reader Speed Launch, HP Digital Imaging Monitor, Microsoft Office, Personal Coach, Quicken Scheduled Updates

Thanks!

#4 technomashup

technomashup

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:57 AM

I agree with you that Norton Antivirus is effective but it really does consume a lot of resources. MS Security Essentials can actually replace all of your spyware programs and even Norton Antivirus. It is as effective but does not take a lot of resources.

You will really feel the difference in your system's performance. But still, its up to you.

Your msconfig startup items seems okay.

With regards to identifying the right RAM for your system, you can use free and virus-free CPUID utility which you can download here. The program actually is for identfying the cpu installed in your system but you can also find the specification of your existing RAM so you can use it as reference when buying a new RAM. Just run the program and goto the "SPD" Tab and you can find your memory information there.

With regards to installation, it will require you to tinker with your system so I suggest that if you have really no idea, just let the professionals or someone else with computer hardware knowledge do the installation for you.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:07 AM

Please download VEW and save it to your Desktop: http://images.malwareremoval.com/vino/VEW.exe

Double-click VEW.exe then under Select log to query, select:
Application
System

Under Select type to list, select:
Critical (Vista only)
Error

Click the radio button for Number of events
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

In Notepad, click Edit > Select all then Edit > Copy
Reply to this post, click in the reply window and press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the log.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:55 AM

FWIW: There is only one AV program among the items you listed...NAV...you need to keep it installed.

I would not uninstall the spyware/adware programs you have listed, unless they are replaced by something considered at least as useful.

352MB of RAM with NAV, Adobe, MS Office, Registry Mechanic, and HP software installed...is probably taxed. Each of those programs is constantly running scans and/or updaters which consume system resources.

I further suggest that you remove Registry Mechanic from your system.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The registry is a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry".

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone.

Why I dont use registry cleaners - http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643

Should I Use A Registry Cleaner - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Louis

#7 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:07 AM

I agree with you that Norton Antivirus is effective but it really does consume a lot of resources. MS Security Essentials can actually replace all of your spyware programs and even Norton Antivirus. It is as effective but does not take a lot of resources.

You will really feel the difference in your system's performance. But still, its up to you.

Your msconfig startup items seems okay.

With regards to identifying the right RAM for your system, you can use free and virus-free CPUID utility which you can download here. The program actually is for identfying the cpu installed in your system but you can also find the specification of your existing RAM so you can use it as reference when buying a new RAM. Just run the program and goto the "SPD" Tab and you can find your memory information there.

With regards to installation, it will require you to tinker with your system so I suggest that if you have really no idea, just let the professionals or someone else with computer hardware knowledge do the installation for you.

Actually, the startup information I gave you was not accurate since it was based on the Safe mode. I am now able to log in normally better today, here is the remaining items that are part of start-up: TomTomHomeRunner, GoogleToolbarNotifier, YahooMessenger, Weather, rundll32.

I appreciate your advice regarding Norton. I will certainly consider it, if it continues to be an issue. Based on improvements already after having uninstalled Spybot, I will follow hamluis advice and will keep NAV since its the only purely AV program I have. I will uninstall Registry Mechanic though.

#8 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:12 AM

Thanks Budapest! I ran VEW.exe

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows XP in English
Report run at 27/04/2010 8:10:33 AM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 1:20:01 AM
Type: error Category: 0
Event: 1008 Source: MsiInstaller
The installation of C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\MicrosoftFixit50102(2).msi is not permitted due to an error in software restriction policy processing. The object cannot be trusted.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 1:15:54 AM
Event: 1008 Source: MsiInstaller
The installation of C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\MicrosoftFixit50102.msi is not permitted due to an error in software restriction policy processing. The object cannot be trusted.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 19/04/2010 8:45:15 AM
Event: 1000 Source: Application Error
Faulting application nu.exe, version 14.5.0.118, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x01abcf6c.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 18/04/2010 2:51:44 PM
Event: 0 Source: pctsSvc.exe
The event description cannot be found.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 17/04/2010 1:00:13 AM
Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.9.0.3725, faulting module scxpx86.dll, version 9.1.2.5, fault address 0x00047629.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/04/2010 2:10:57 AM
Event: 0 Source: SENS

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/04/2010 1:12:27 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/04/2010 12:43:31 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/04/2010 12:15:16 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/04/2010 12:08:09 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/04/2010 11:49:27 PM
Type: error Category: 100
Faulting application drwtsn32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module dbghelp.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001295d.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/04/2010 11:48:22 PM
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.3156, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/04/2010 11:21:44 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/04/2010 10:15:17 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/04/2010 9:50:00 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/04/2010 9:20:39 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/04/2010 8:59:59 PM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/04/2010 8:53:36 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/04/2010 12:38:29 AM

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/04/2010 12:05:50 AM

'System' Log - error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 7:57:13 AM
Event: 29 Source: W32Time
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 14 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 7:57:13 AM
Event: 17 Source: W32Time
Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 4:49:11 AM
Event: 7000 Source: Service Control Manager
The PC Tools Security Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 4:49:11 AM
Event: 7009 Source: Service Control Manager
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the PC Tools Security Service service to connect.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 4:48:33 AM
The PC Tools Security Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 4:48:33 AM
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the PC Tools Security Service service to connect.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 4:47:54 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 4:47:54 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 4:47:15 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 4:47:15 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 4:46:39 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 4:46:39 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 4:44:47 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 4:44:47 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 4:43:40 AM
Event: 7026 Source: Service Control Manager
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: Beep

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 4:43:25 AM

The mrtRate service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 2:04:44 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 27/04/2010 2:04:44 AM

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After its finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:35 PM

qttask, realsched, jusched, pctsTray, ctfmon, Adobe Reader Speed Launch, HP Digital Imaging Monitor, Microsoft Office, Personal Coach, Quicken Scheduled Update

I would disable all of those from running on startup with the exception of ctfmon, which won't make any difference if you disable it or not, pctsTray, which probably does not take many resources, HP Digital Imaging Monitor and possibly Personal Coach from starting on startup. The only reason I am not recommending the last two be disabled is I am not at all familiar with them but if you do not need them to be running in the background all the time, disable them too. Just from the sound of it, I doubt you need Personal Coach starting when the computer does. Those programs can be started manually so there is no need to have them running in the background. You might need the HP one running in the background, but I doubt it.

Also, with only 352 meg of ram, it might not be a good idea to upgrade to SP3 as that has been reported to slow systems down when they do not have a lot of ram.

Edited by Stang777, 27 April 2010 - 05:39 PM.

#11 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:27 PM

qttask, realsched, jusched, pctsTray, ctfmon, Adobe Reader Speed Launch, HP Digital Imaging Monitor, Microsoft Office, Personal Coach, Quicken Scheduled Update

I would disable all of those from running on startup with the exception of ctfmon, which won't make any difference if you disable it or not, pctsTray, which probably does not take many resources, HP Digital Imaging Monitor and possibly Personal Coach from starting on startup. The only reason I am not recommending the last two be disabled is I am not at all familiar with them but if you do not need them to be running in the background all the time, disable them too. Just from the sound of it, I doubt you need Personal Coach starting when the computer does. Those programs can be started manually so there is no need to have them running in the background. You might need the HP one running in the background, but I doubt it.

Also, with only 352 meg of ram, it might not be a good idea to upgrade to SP3 as that has been reported to slow systems down when they do not have a lot of ram.

Thanks. I won't upgrade to SP3 then. I can remove qttask, realsched, jusched, Adobe, Microsoft Office from startup.

These are additional items that are part of startup: here is the remaining items that are part of start-up: TomTomHomeRunner, GoogleToolbarNotifier, YahooMessenger, Weather, rundll32.

Are any of them essential?

Also, is there anything that I need to know based on the event log listed below? Thanks again!

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

Faulting application nu.exe, version 14.5.0.118, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x01abcf6c.

I believe that this is related to Norton. Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Norton?

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:49 PM

If you downloaded Norton Utilities via torrent...I'd say there is a probability that you are infected.

The version you list seems to be popular for torrent downloads.

Louis

#14 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:14 PM

If you downloaded Norton Utilities via torrent...I'd say there is a probability that you are infected.

The version you list seems to be popular for torrent downloads.

Louis

I actually uninstalled Norton Utilities a few days go. I do not see the need for it, since I already have Norton Antivirus. I did have rootkit issue, but I followed the steps in the tddskiller software and it fixed that issue. It has made a huge difference, and I no longer have webpage redirections and seemingly the spyware issues are gone. Even, the startup is a lot better now.

#15 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:16 PM

I believe that this is related to Norton. Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Norton?

Even with uninstalling Norton Utilities, would you recommend installing and re-installing Norton Antivirus? I was not sure if it would be still be necessary to do that now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users