Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall Disabled

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Tarboro

Tarboro

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:13 PM

Greetings!

I have Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. I will need to upgrade to SP3 soon. I suddenly noticed recently that my Windows Internet Security firewall had been disabled. When I try to re-activate it, the options were unavailable to be changed...It had been grayed out, and I could not turn it back on. I believe it may have caused by Spybot Search and Destroy.
I have the most up-to-date Norton Antivirus. I have PC Tools Spyware Doctor 7.0.0.545 and also had Spybot Search and Destroy. Also, have Malwarebytes Anti-malware and PC Tools Registry Mechanic 9.0. I recently had virus issues and I was very concerned that some softwares weren't picking it up (I managed to remove the rootkit issue). I noticed after I ran the Spybot Search and Destroy, that all of a sudden Windows Security firewall was disabled. I uninstalled Spybot Search and Destroy today but the firewall is still disabled. However, I'd like to enable it, or at least confirm where the firewall is. I'd appreciate assistance in bringing back the Windows Security Center firewall for my PC.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:16 PM

Exactly what version of Norton do you have?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/resetfwpol.htm

found this on a google search. try method 2.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:22 PM

Most security programs, which include firewall (like Norton) will automatically disable Windows firewall, since running two firewalls is never a good idea.

Also, stay away from any registry tools.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:57 PM

Most security programs, which include firewall (like Norton) will automatically disable Windows firewall, since running two firewalls is never a good idea.

Also, stay away from any registry tools.

I have Norton Antivirus 2010. I have different versions of Norton Antivirus and it has never disabled the the firewall before. I strongly suspect it was Spybot that disabled it, since one of the scans seemed to indicate something related to the Windows security center firewall. I thought uninstalling would do the trick but it didn't.
You mentioned staying away from registry tools - do you mean including Registry mechanic? It seems to work well. I know I may have too many anti-virus spyware softwares, but I was very concerned that softwares like Norton and Spyware Doctor weren't capturing everything. Just wanted to make sure that my PC is safe, stable, and well protected.

thrillhouse, I went to the website and tried method 2 in safe mode (computer runs too slowly in normal mode, but Gpedit.msc could not be found when I tried to run it. Should I use the other method instead?

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:02 AM

I forgot you had xp home, so you don't have the group policy editor. Sorry for the bum steer.

EDIT: I don't know if the other method will work or not but I would be scared to try it because if things in the registry get messed up then you can lose everything.

Edited by thrillhouse, 27 April 2010 - 12:03 AM.

#7 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:06 AM

I forgot you had xp home, so you don't have the group policy editor. Sorry for the bum steer.

EDIT: I don't know if the other method will work or not but I would be scared to try it because if things in the registry get messed up then you can lose everything.

Fair point. Any other suggestions?

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:06 AM

I assume, same applies to your Norton version: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Inte...ndows/m-p/32430

NIS 2009 will disable Windows Firewall and Windows Defender during install if they are on. When uninstalled NIS will return them to their original states. Norton AntiVirus 2009, since it doesn't have a Firewall, will not change the Windows Firewall state. In either case you can freely enable or disable Windows Firewall or Defender after installation, although we don't recommend it.

Principal Software Engineer
Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton 360

Why NO to registry tools: http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/reg...weaking_13.html

Now, running more than one AV, firewall, or antispyware tool is nothing more, than asking for problems.
The main part of your computer security defense is you and your computer habits.
Any security programs are only 2nd line of protection.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:11 AM

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Firewall On - #386 on the right.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:13 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673

try the fix it option.

#11 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:14 AM

I assume, same applies to your Norton version: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Inte...ndows/m-p/32430

NIS 2009 will disable Windows Firewall and Windows Defender during install if they are on. When uninstalled NIS will return them to their original states. Norton AntiVirus 2009, since it doesn't have a Firewall, will not change the Windows Firewall state. In either case you can freely enable or disable Windows Firewall or Defender after installation, although we don't recommend it.

Principal Software Engineer
Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton 360

Why NO to registry tools: http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/reg...weaking_13.html

Now, running more than one AV, firewall, or antispyware tool is nothing more, than asking for problems.
The main part of your computer security defense is you and your computer habits.
Any security programs are only 2nd line of protection.

I confirmed on the Norton site that although Norton Internet Secuirty disables firewalls, Norton Antivirus actually does not disable firewalls. If that were the case, the firewall would have disabled a long time ago in my case.
Thanks for the eye-opening information. As mentioned before, I currently have Norton Antivirus 2010, PC Tools Spyware Doctor 7.0.0.545, Malwarebytes Anti-malware, and PC Tools Registry Mechanic 9.0. Having all of these may also be what's causing the computer to slow down. What system or systems would you suggest removing, while still maintaining solid virus/spyware protection?

#12 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:21 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673

try the fix it option.

Unfortunately, that option didn't work. The installation was prevented

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Firewall On - #386 on the right.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.

I was unable to save the file as a reg..only as a text file....

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:23 AM

Just rename it as a .reg file.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:26 AM

Just rename it as a .reg file.

I have. Although, it still opens as though it were a text file. When I double click on it, a notepad document opens up with the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile]
"EnableFirewall"=dword:00000001
"DoNotAllowExceptions"=dword:00000000

Edited by Tarboro, 27 April 2010 - 12:27 AM.

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:33 AM

Go Start > Run and type "regedit". Then go File > Import and import the file you saved.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users