Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Crash

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NickJewell

NickJewell

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:50 PM

Hi all,

I've been having a bit of a weird problem with my PC. Every time I start up a game, I encounter a graphics crash (it's the only way I can think of explaining it). Basically, what happens is this:

I'll start up the game. It will run perfectly fine for about five minutes; I will be able to access the menu, start a new game, and even get started on whatever it is I might be doing. Then, about five to ten minutes later, my computer will freeze up and the graphics will crash. My tower will continue to run, but my monitor will act as if it has been inactive long enough for it to go into sleep mode; the monitor will go to black as if my computer has been inactive and the monitor was left on. Weirder still, the sound will not entirely cut out, leaving the ambient background noise present in most games to continue, but cutting out the active sound (gunfire, voices, et cetera). This is truly odd to me, as the sound does not stutter as if the computer has frozen, but instead just continues as if the game is still running.

So far, the only way to rectify this "crash" has been to do a hard restart on the tower itself. I'm a bit perplexed as to what could be causing this.

For reference, here are some of the games that this error has happened with:

Crysis
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Company of Heroes
Demigod
Half-Life 2
Team Fortress 2
Left 4 Dead

Also for reference, my GPU is an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, and my processor an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000 +. I know I have a Dynex 500W PSU, and 3GB of RAM (though I don't know the model of it). Beyond that, I'm not 100% certain what's in my tower, but I hope that's at least somewhat helpful.

I'm not entirely sure what could be causing this, but if anyone could give me any insight or advice on what to do, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ExitiumMachina

ExitiumMachina

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:53 PM

Could be bad RAM, could be overheating, graphics card could be shot...there are literally a ton of different things that could be wrong. Is there a memory dump? Could shed light into the issue, might be able to get something out of an error reported on Windows itself...but probably not much I can help you with.

#3 NickJewell

NickJewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:01 AM

I haven't received any errors directly from my Windows about this problem; it only states that I need to turn off my computer properly when it's booting up from the hard restart. I'm not sure what you mean by a memory dump, however: is there something you'd like me to post here? I know there might not be much to be done about it, but any insight at all would be helpful.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:57 PM

WHats the model number of your power supply. Your issues are directly related to a dying video card.

#5 NickJewell

NickJewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:45 AM

Model number of my power supply is as follows: DX-PS500W.

A dying video card is a disheartening problem. I suppose there isn't anything much to be done about it, right?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:05 AM

I am thinking that your power supply is not providing enough power to the rest of the system while under load. This can cause your freeze ups while gaming. I would highly recommend another power supply.

Something along this line: CORSAIR CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply 119.99. This power supply is by far one of the most stable supplies on the market for the price. It will also provide you with ample room to upgrade.

You should not skimp on the power supply. It should be one of the most important purchases on your system.

#7 NickJewell

NickJewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:09 PM

Cool, thanks very much for the heads-up. I have been planning on upgrading my system for a while now, so I guess this is the time to do so.

Cheers for the information! It's been very helpful.

#8 NickJewell

NickJewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

I am thinking that your power supply is not providing enough power to the rest of the system while under load. This can cause your freeze ups while gaming. I would highly recommend another power supply.

Something along this line: CORSAIR CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply 119.99. This power supply is by far one of the most stable supplies on the market for the price. It will also provide you with ample room to upgrade.

You should not skimp on the power supply. It should be one of the most important purchases on your system.

Hi there.

I upgraded my power supply as you suggested. I purchased this model:

Rocketfish 900W Power Supply (RF-900WPS)

I installed it into my system and tried to run a game, but the same thing happened as happened before: the game ran for a few minutes, then crashed my computer, turning the tower completely off by itself. I'm a bit confused now.

Is there something else that could be causing this crash? Perhaps the GPU itself has become faulty and needs to be replaced?

Any help you could offer here, as quickly as possible, would be greatly appreciated.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

Hi there.

I upgraded my power supply as you suggested. I purchased this model:

Rocketfish 900W Power Supply (RF-900WPS)

I installed it into my system and tried to run a game, but the same thing happened as happened before: the game ran for a few minutes, then crashed my computer, turning the tower completely off by itself. I'm a bit confused now.

Is there something else that could be causing this crash? Perhaps the GPU itself has become faulty and needs to be replaced?

Any help you could offer here, as quickly as possible, would be greatly appreciated.

I cannot find any detailed specifications for your power supply let alone I have never heard of RocketFish. I recommend the one to you that I picked, due to its high customer reviews in the gaming industry. Not to mention it comes from a very reputable company with excellent customer service and warranties. I suggest you return the power supply you got, and get the one I recommend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users