Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHKDSK Dysfunction -- Runs at every boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 black069

black069

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

As part of my regular maintenance, I schedule a boot-time "chkdsk" scan (via My Computer> R-click C: drive>Properties>Tools>Error-Checking>Tick both boxes*>"Check Now") once a month or so.

*My both boxes, I mean:

(1) Automatically fix file system errors

(2) Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

When I do this, I get a message stating that chkdsk needs access to all of my resources, and thus schedules it for next bootup (which is normal).

For the first 2 years I had my laptop, chkdsk ran correctly, and I could see a report via Event Viewer.

But for the last couple weeks, after scheduling a chkdsk scan a couple weeks ago, the following happens when every time I reboot:

After the Dell black intro screen and the Windows black intro screen are displayed, a blue screen appears with the following message:

Checking file system on C:.

The type of file system is NTFS.

Cannot open volume for direct access.

Windows has finished checking the disk.

Then Windows continues to boot without problem.

I googled "Cannot open volume for direct access" and found that chkdsk could be run successfully from outside of the OS by booting to the installation CD and running chkdsk from the Recovery Console. And this does, in fact, allow me to run chkdsk.

So…two problems remain:

(1) I have to have my installation disk and go through several steps which take longer to run chkdsk.

(2) The annoying error message appears every time I boot the computer.

The only other solutions via Google search are to (1) update to WindowsXP SERVICE PACK 3 (I've had this for years); and (2) get rid of SpywareDoctor if you have it (I don't have it and never have).

Other than this problem, my computer is running fine. There are definitely no viruses, malware, etc. All my drivers are up-to-date. And my machine is fully patched.

ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED.

My computer specs:

Dell Precision M6300 Workstation

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU

2 GB RAM

Windows XP PRO SP3

Internet Browser: Internet Explorer 8

Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M

Sound Card: SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

Network Adapter: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Antivirus Program: AVG 9 Free

Other Anti-malware Programs: MBAM, SuperantiSpyware, SpywareBlaster

Firewalls: Windows XP Firewall and the firewall of my router (NetGear RangeMax Wireless Router WPN824v2)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

Normally...any problems running chkdsk /r (you run the equivalent by checking both boxes) tends to indicate a problem with the file system or the hard drive.

I would try running the sfc /scannow command...or doing a repair install of XP...based on the error message you received. My guess (strictly that) is that pertinent system files are missing or damaged.

Alternately, I might try reinstalling SP3...but I think I'd try running the sfc /scannow command.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

#3 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

Well maybe I shouldnt but I will stick my nose in here. I found this Googling.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823439

Edited by bicycle bill, 27 April 2010 - 05:30 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:59 PM

If you read the posts...you will see that the OP (and I, although I did not mention it)...has already seen that KB. It doesn't apply because the OP is already at SP3, but 'twas a good effort :thumbsup:.

It's a forum...don't be hesitant to suggest a possible solution :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users