Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner Defrag is defragging???

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pat71896

pat71896

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

I had to reformat my HD a month ago. For some reason, I have forgotten to do a "Disk Cleanup" and/or a "Defrag" for all that time.

I ran the regular Windows Defrag and it ran for several hours. I tried it 3 times, same results. I figured something was not working right.

Downloaded CCleaner (which is what I normally use) and the first defrag took 5 hours. It said the "C" drive was 44% fragmented. It is my habit to run defrag a second time to see the results.

I ran it the 2nd time and it took about 1 hour, showed 40% fragmented, and I watched the files that were showing in CCleaner.

Since that time, I have run 5 more times, have results between 36% to 44% fragmented, various number and names of files, and differing amounts of time involved.

Any suggestions as to why this might be happening? I have observed the little boxes dancing around and they seem to be getting into order. However, when complete, still having high percentage fragmented.

Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slowlane

slowlane

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:41 PM

You must be thinking of Defraggler. CCleaner doesn't defrag.

My system is very fast with 30-50% frag. Defrag doesn't improve performance on my current pc, or any I used in the past. What you are seeing is mostly locked system files that cannot be defragged.
If you want to substantially reduce frag, using CCleaner simply delete the restore points under Tools \ System Restore. :huh:

Edited by slowlane, 26 April 2010 - 09:48 PM.

#3 pat71896

pat71896
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:21 PM

You are right, it is Defraggler (Piriform).

I just cannot imagine why that number is so high. I have never had such high numbers ever before.

My system is slow, especially on the Internet.

I am so frustrated. After all the work of reformat, I am just ready to drop kick it out of my life.

Thanks for your response.

Pat, :huh:

#4 slowlane

slowlane

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:26 PM

If your system is still slow it can't be frag. I suspect malware.

#5 pat71896

pat71896
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:22 PM

Do you know what the Malware (freebie) name is?

I really don't know what a malware is and what it does, but I will check into that.

Thanks again,

Pat

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

Can you post your system specs?

#7 pat71896

pat71896
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

Duh. . . Sorry about that.

I have an HP Laptop, Vista 32 OS, and using IE 7.0. I really need to change that browser. I am thinking of using Google Chrome, but I cannot fully access my bank account with Chrome. I only get to the first layer of security, the second layer does not actually have a password, so Chrome won't let me go further.

I did run Malwarebytes' and found no Malware.

Thanks so much for all the input. I know people are busy.

Pat

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:04 PM

Post your system specs like CPU, RAM, and HDD.

#9 pat71896

pat71896
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

According to my Belarc Advisor:

2.00 GHtz Intel Pentium Dual-Core

3004 megabytes usable installed memory

Drive, 320. gigabytes

I hope I am getting this correct.

Thanks again, Pat

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

What exactly are you trying to solve?

I would try rebooting into safe mode and running windows defrag from there.

#11 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

If you're complaining about the large amount of space that is still fragmented after running a full defrag, slowlane already answered your question.

System Restore points are highly prone to fragmentation.

Take a look at Defraggler on my netbook after a recent defrag (4 days):

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2638/defragn.png
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#12 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

If you're complaining about the large amount of space that is still fragmented after running a full defrag, slowlane already answered your question.

System Restore points are highly prone to fragmentation.

Take a look at Defraggler on my netbook after a recent defrag (4 days):

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2638/defragn.png

Again, I am still learning here, but I thought there was a setting that only allowed xx amount of space to be consumed by system restore points. 40-50% seems like way too much data to be consumed entirely by system restore points. In fact, I think we just covered this in my Intro to OS class. Maybe this setting by default is not turned on??

That much fragmentation seems to me like potential malware. Worm possibly????
Posted Image

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

You are right. There is a setting for this.

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1160/restoresettings.png

If you notice, it just so happens that my current percentage of fragmentation is equal to the percentage that I have set to allocate for System Restore points.

If pat71896 deletes all saved Restore Points, and the fragmentation drops like a stone, then we know that was the problem.

No malware that I know of tries to slow computers by fragmenting the hard drive. Besides, why would it? If wouldn't have much affect on performance. You'd be better off trying to get a ransom (pay this or else) or turn it into a bot-net computer. Intentional fragmentation by malware is just completely illogical.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#14 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

Do you know what the Malware (freebie) name is?

I really don't know what a malware is and what it does, but I will check into that.

Thanks again,

Pat

pat71896, even if malware is not the cause here, check out http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/55/spyware-and-malware-removal-guides-and-reading-room/. This forum has a great deal of information explaining what exactly malware is, and tutorials on how to help protect yourself against it. There are also links to a number of tools to help prevent and correct any issues regarding malware.

I would do something about using IE7 as your default web browser, big security risk in itself from what I have heard.
Posted Image

#15 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:17 AM

You are right. There is a setting for this.

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1160/restoresettings.png

If you notice, it just so happens that my current percentage of fragmentation is equal to the percentage that I have set to allocate for System Restore points.

If pat71896 deletes all saved Restore Points, and the fragmentation drops like a stone, then we know that was the problem.

No malware that I know of tries to slow computers by fragmenting the hard drive. Besides, why would it? If wouldn't have much affect on performance. You'd be better off trying to get a ransom (pay this or else) or turn it into a bot-net computer. Intentional fragmentation by malware is just completely illogical.

Thanks keyboard for the info., I was thinking along the lines of a worm replicating itself repeatedly on his drive and eating up space.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users