Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP won't start

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

Tried to install a second Windows XP Home onto the new hard drive.

Having had advice about upgrading to XP Pro, and subsequent realisation that Laptops Windows disc was specific to that machine (please remember I'm a novice) my friend and I decided to stick with XP Home for his rebuilt desktop.

So, the starting situation was this.

Old 80GB drive in a single partition with original XP Home installed.
New 250GB drive partitioned into one system and three logical partitions with XP Pro installed.

PC setup in BIOS to boot from old hard drive first, and as dual boot. Windows setup to boot from XP Home as default, with time out set to 10 secs, so the OS choose option didn't tempt him to start the XP Pro version.

All worked well, apart from issues covered in other topics.

That was until yesterday. We made the decision to install XP Home onto the new hard drive, in a plan to move all files and programs onto the new drive, before removing or reformatting the old drive.

So, I started the process. I setup BIOS to boot from CD first. Ran the XP Home disc, and followed the instructions.

Selected the drive and partition I wanted to install XP Home into. It detected XP Pro was there and gave me the option to format the drive partition. I accepted that option. The partition was successfully reformatted in NTFS. Then the Windows install restarted. Windows installed and finished.

This is when the problems started. Upon completion the machine would restart.

I changed boot sequence in BIOS back to original settings. i.e. boot from C:\ (80GB) drive.

The machine got as far as verifying DMI Pool. Then just hung with flashing cursor.

Having experienced this previously and fixed it by using Windows Restore Console, tried that.

It took ages but finished. But machine still just hangs at same place, irrespective of which drive I try to boot from first.

How can I fix this please? :thumbsup:
A long suffering MS user

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

I would try reinstalling windows xp on the new HDD and take the old one out before starting the install.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

I would try reinstalling windows xp on the new HDD and take the old one out before starting the install.

Do you mean disconnect the original C:\ Drive?

If so, this has all my friends programs and files on it. It also has all the updates and Service Packs installed on it. And until I tried the second install yesterday had been working fine.

I'd rather save the C:\ installation and sacrifice the new install.

How can I do that please? :thumbsup:
A long suffering MS user

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:20 PM

No no i mean take the original out install on the new and then put the original back in set it as a slave and then transfer all the files and setting and programs over to the new one. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:29 PM

No no i mean take the original out install on the new and then put the original back in set it as a slave and then transfer all the files and setting and programs over to the new one. :thumbsup:

I'm sorry. I'm not silly, but I'm still unclear. Can you be a little more specific. Take the original what out? And the new drive already has XP Home installed. Do you mean, physically disconnect or remove the old drive?

Then reinstall XP Home on the new drive?

Then reinstall the old drive, with it set up as a slave?

What program do I use to transfer programs settings and files safely?

Many thanks
A long suffering MS user

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

So the new drive boots into XP Fine right and works? I'm sorry but could you help me understand what you want I'm not quite understanding.
sigcomp.png 

#7 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

Two drives have XP Home installed. The original and the new.

The system used to boot from the original.

The system won't boot from either now.

The system just hangs at verifying DMI Pool Data........

I want to be able to get back to the original state of play. That being, system boots from original C:\ drive without hanging. I want to remove the new install of XP Home from the new drive. :thumbsup:

I can then start the second XP Home install on the new drive again.
A long suffering MS user

#8 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

Okay. Have done some reading here and elsewhere. I loaded safe defaults and optimized defaults in BIOS. DMI Pool Data updated. Which lead to the SATA drives being seen as SCSI, and the RAID being enabled, but that aside I at least got to the Windows loading page before it stopped at blue screen of death.

Rebooted machine. Changed BIOS to see original hard drive first, and boot from Hard Drive first. Changed RAID to IDE, and saved changes.

Now back where I started, hanging at Verifying DMI Pool Data
A long suffering MS user

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

What...was used to do these installs...recovery/restore CDs, MS Genuine XP CD...what was the media used?

FWIW: If you want to effect a dual-boot...then XP must be installed on the second drive...while the first install on the older drive...is also reflected.

<<I want to remove the new install of XP Home from the new drive. I can then start the second XP Home install on the new drive again.>>

It should not be necessary to remove the new install...I would just do a repair install of XP, with both drives properly connected to the system. The repair install will see both current installs and ask which you want to repair...choose the newer.

Doing this will correct the boot.ini to reflect both.

Not sure why your system hangs at DMI Pool error, but I suspect that it has to do with the media used for this install of XP.

FWIW: I trust that you have a valid license to install XP Home...on the hard drive which previously had XP Pro as the installed system. The license for one does not authorize/validate installing the other.

Louis

#10 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:30 PM

What...was used to do these installs...recovery/restore CDs, MS Genuine XP CD...what was the media used?

FWIW: If you want to effect a dual-boot...then XP must be installed on the second drive...while the first install on the older drive...is also reflected.

<<I want to remove the new install of XP Home from the new drive. I can then start the second XP Home install on the new drive again.>>

It should not be necessary to remove the new install...I would just do a repair install of XP, with both drives properly connected to the system. The repair install will see both current installs and ask which you want to repair...choose the newer.

Doing this will correct the boot.ini to reflect both.

Not sure why your system hangs at DMI Pool error, but I suspect that it has to do with the media used for this install of XP.

FWIW: I trust that you have a valid license to install XP Home...on the hard drive which previously had XP Pro as the installed system. The license for one does not authorize/validate installing the other.

Louis

The medium used was an official fully licencsed copy of Windows XP Home CD which came with the desktop when bought 5 years ago.

The XP Pro install was my first attempt at getting a second OS on the friends desktop machine , which is also a fully licencsed copy which came with a brand new HP Laptop last Xmas. So, no issues with legitimacy of software or medium.

There are no issues with the medium, i.e. both discs are clean, no scrathches, and fully paid licensed CD. Not all people use pirated software. In particular, neither my friend or I do, being of the older set and business owners we believe in people being paid fairly for what they produce. I trust this lays your concern to rest. Frankly I find the inuendo insulting, but I guess cynicism is a necessary evil of helping people in the virtual world. I'm more than prepared to provide relevant details of purchase, and licencse numbers if that puts your concerns about my integrity to rest in a realistic and more favourable light.

Back to the real problem.

The computer hangs at Verifying DMI Pool Data. It doesn't matter which Hard drive I choose to prioritise to start first, I get the same result. I've read elsewhere that machines of this age had problems with BIOS settings causing confusion when new drives were added.

I'm running two SATA Baracuda drives. One is a 80GB 5 year old item, the new disc is a 250GB version. They are running via SATA cables connected to a controller set to IDE in BIOS.

BIOS detects them as Master CH 2. for old and Master CH 3. for new
A long suffering MS user

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

I don't think that you read/understood properly what I typed.

<<I trust that you have a valid license to install XP Home...on the hard drive which previously had XP Pro as the installed system.>>

I don't see any reference at all to an XP Pro license, which is what you seem to have responded to.

As for eMachines systems...I don't believe that I've ever had an eMachines system which had a full copy of XP on CD...they have utilized recovery/restore CDs to be used with their systems as long as they have been around, IIRC. These are not the same as a full copy of MS Genuine XP.

<<I trust this lays your concern to rest.>>

I didn't have any concern...I was simply trying to figure out how you had arrived at the state you are currently in.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 April 2010 - 08:45 PM.

#12 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

I appreciate your help.

The disc that came with the desktop, is a Microsoft Windows Xp Home edition disc. It is labelled as OEM software. It was installed on the machine when purchased 5 years ago. There is a certificate of authenticity on it which corresponds with that on the original case. I transferred the motherboard nd upgraded RAM, BIOS and PSU and added a second HDD 3 months ago.

All was working fine until yesterday.

I followed the instructions when installing a second copy to the new hard drive, all as per initial post in this thread.

Once the second copy was installed, the machine rebooted, but stalled at the Verifying DMI Pool Data point. Which is where I'm still at.

I want to delete remove uninstall the second install of XP Home from the new drive and I want to get back to being able to use the old drive.

Once at that point, I want to be able to install the second copy of XP Home onto the new drive, and transfer all programs settings and files to the new drive.

Non of which can be done without first resolving the boot issue.

How do I achieve this please
A long suffering MS user

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

To delete the new install...remove the older hard drive, attach the newer drive as the boot/system drive.

Insert the XP CD and indicate that you want to install...when the screens which reflect any detected O/S appears, choose that and delete that partition. Then just cancel the install.

Result...the partition on which newer install rested is kaput.

At that time, power system down....switch old hard drive into system, attach newer drive as secondary drive.

System should boot into XP on old drive, while seeing existing partitions on new drive.

At that time, you should be able to install XP on the second drive...using your XP CD.

A successful install will see the two installs as a dual-boot, with the older one being the default (I think).

Louis

#14 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:02 PM

Ok, thanks. will try that and post results here.
A long suffering MS user

#15 MMCinNZ

MMCinNZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:43 PM

Rightyho.

Disconnected original drive from MOBO. Formatted new drive system partition and installed a fresh XP Home.

Loaded Office, and antivirus, then checked for updates and installed all.

Scanned with AVG.

Installed additional software.

Reconnected old drive as slave.

Transferred all required files to new hard drive.

Formatted old drive.

System now sweet. Thanks to all
A long suffering MS user

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users