Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank screen on laptop after Combofix initiated restart

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hsny

hsny

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:01 PM

Hi, this is my first post. Hope I am doing this correctly.

Current situation- When I try to turn on my laptop (Windows XP SP3), I get 2 options- one for Microsoft Recovery Console and another for regular Windows login. When I don't select the Recovery Console within a few seconds, it proceeds to run the regular mode but never gets to the Windows login screen. The screen stays blank and I can see the mouse pointer on it.

Earlier- This is the first time I had a malware infection. I had something that is being called a 'Google Redirect Virus'. I was getting correct search results in google but when I clicked on them, every once in a while, it would redirect to an unexpected site. After reading a little bit (this is where I made the mistake), I ran combofix as I was very anxious.....only later did I realize I should have sought supervision. During running combofix, Microsoft recovery Console was installed. However, the combofix initiated restart was not successful and stopped at the blank screen.

One additional note- I am not absolutely certain about this but I think I saw an svchost.exe related message from combofix when it was running...not sure if it was saying that it was deleting that file.

Many thanks to anyone who takes out the time to help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hsny

hsny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

Hi there,
I am really hoping someone can help me out with this :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic