Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question on buying oem word or office 2003

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

I'm considering buying another license for word 2003 to use on another computer. I'm confused about oem versions available. I thought oem versions couldn't be used except on the computer they came on, but that might be the software versions that are only installable via recovery cds and not the software that comes on its own disc or on its own disc in its own box.

Outletdeal.com has an Office 2003 Professional OEM for sale. They have OK web of trust, norton and macafee scores and were included in a nextag search, so I think they are legit. Assuming it's ok to buy an oem version, what is the difference between buying an OEM vs full version? They also sell academic versions. Should one only purchase an academic version if one fits Microsoft's criteria to purchase an academic version?

Thanks for any assistance.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Christa W

Christa W

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:47 PM

You cannot buy standalone OEM software legally. They come with hardware. However, Outletdeal and similar places legally sell it by including the hardware it's bundled with. In other words, they are advertising the software but what you get is the software AND the hardware it comes with. For example, Roxio is often bundled with CD/DVD drives. You buy Roxio OEM, you get a qualifying drive that it ships with. So yes, this is legal as long as they are shipping everything as the package it is licensed for.

Another thing with OEM is that the software is only supported by the vendor, not the software company. Outletdeal offers installation support as is required. I have no experience with them so I don't know anything about the quality or extent of the support.

Some OEM software does not qualify for an standard upgrade path. This can vary depending on the software, and full versions are usually upgradeable. Outletdeal states that their OEM offerings are upgradeable but I have no way to verify this or find out what, if any, stipulations there are.

If you qualify for an academic version of software, you will be asked to provide proof that you are a student or an authorized representative of an educational institution in order to purchase it. Usually this is either a purchase order from the school, a student or faculty ID or something similar. As long as you meet all the requirements of the academic licensing, then you are entitled to full support, etc.

Hope this helps.

Christa

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

Thanks Christa,

I'm still confused.
If they have to sell the hardware with the software, how can anyone sell an OEM version of MS Word or winxp? I'm wondering if there are 2 types or levels of OEM software or if OEM is often used incorrectly. Maybe since MS isn't selling word 2003 or winxp anymore, they are calling previously fully licensed boxed software OEM since it wouldn't qualify for MS support?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 Christa W

Christa W

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:47 PM

I was actually wondering that myself. It stands to reason that something like Photoshop Elements would go with a scanner, but like you said, Word and XP... I've been meaning to look into this further but the floods here in Nashville have had me tied up until now. I will do some digging this afternoon/evening and post whatever I find out. I'm curious if they are stretching the definition of "qualifying hardware". I'll be back with an update if I find any information.

Christa

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Christa,

Sorry about the floods. Hope your computer stays dry.

I'm now wondering if the winxp "OEM" CDs for sale are like the win2k cd that came w/ my compuzone built computer. I configured that one - picked out the chassis, processor, mobo, hard drives, power supply etc and compuzone ordered from my list and put it together for me. My win2k cd should be sell-able separate from the computer - it doesn't have an OEM-type product key. I don't think compuzone would be considered an OEM, but I've read very different definitions for the term.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#6 Christa W

Christa W

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

I don't have my XP machine in front of me right now, but if I did we could compare licenses and see if there's any difference between the OEM terms on my Compaq and the one on your custom computer. The OEM license for XP on the computer you had built probably has a requirement that it is provided with a computer system (non-specific) but the terms could be different.

I emailed two web sites including Outletdeal and no one will answer my question, which was "What does Word OEM ship with?" I sent them after I posted Friday afternoon. So, I don't have any more info than I did before.

My stuff is all dry, we only had a little water in our basement. We were very lucky compared to some others here in the area. A few of my friends lost everything. It's sad, but we'll recover. We're a strong city, and everyone is really coming together to help each other.

Christa

#7 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

According to PCWord Oct 2005 p60 "most vendors let online stores sell OEM editions to anyone who buys a nonperipheral part - even a mouse" You don't get tech support, and sometime no manual or box. I thought a mouse was a peripheral, but anyway I don't remember getting a mouse or any hardware. Maybe the vendors simply allow online stores to sell OEM software now. People who want tech support will still buy the full retail and probably a lot of people [like me] will buy the reduced OEM version but would just do without when it comes to paying $300 for a program.

I hope your city and your friends are recovering. Sometimes when life knocks you down it takes the opportunity to knock you down again. May life be looking the other way [but not at me] while your friends get back on their feet. I live in hurricane terrortory [don't usually pun]. I know what it's like to have my belongings destroyed and I'm wondering if this season I'll repeat the experience. Being near the ocean is worth the worry and the losses when they occur, but sometimes I wish I could be happy w/ mountains or hills or just large lakes nearby.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users