Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD/CD Writer drive NOT Reading any disc that I try to Load.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sig220

Sig220

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

Hello,

I was uploading my Audio CD's onto Itunes uploaded probably 15 of them and then all of a sudden my disk drive stopped reading anything that I put in it. When i load a disk the green light on the drive blinks like its working then 10 secs in it beeps then repeats the same action and just eventually stops and will not load anything. Tried this with a DVD as well an same thing nothing, if anyone has any ideas that would be great, Thanks.

Edited by Sig220, 26 April 2010 - 03:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:32 PM

Welcome!

First thing that comes to my mind is your laser lens is dirty.

This can be fixed by purchasing a disk designed to clean the lens, you can find one of these at most music stores.

Try that before you do anything else.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

I second MrBruce's suggestion. Then if it still doesn't find files, the simplest way to discover if the drive can in fact read a disc is to set the CD as the first boot device in the BIOS and try to boot up from a bootable CD such as a Windows XP install CD or a Linux Live disc.

If the drive can't read the boot CD after the laser lens is cleaned, it has failed and you will need to replace it. Fortunately, unless you're using a laptop, replacement DVD drives are not expensive.

Edited by Platypus, 26 April 2010 - 07:23 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Sig220

Sig220
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:56 AM

Hey Platypus

I did go buy a Belkin CD-Rom Laser Lens Cleaner problem is that does not boot and does the very same thing as everything else. Put the disc in wont auto boot, tried to manually boot also nothing, tried "Run" "d: \setup.exe" which was provided and that didn't seem to help at all. When i load a Cd into the disk drive no problem but when i go to "my computer" the drive is present but does not show anything in it and when I click on the "DVD RW drive (E:)" It ejects the disk and says insert disk into drive

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

Edited by tg1911, 28 August 2010 - 10:22 PM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:29 AM

If the cleaning disc is properly designed, when the drive attempts to read it, even if it fails the cleaning brush should still pass across the laser lens. That means if the lens is dirty, several tries would hopefully dislodge enough dust/fluff to get a read and begin the proper cleaning cycle. If this doesn't happen after repeated attempts, then it's further indication the laser has probably failed. The only way to prove more conclusively would be to gain access to the laser lens and gently clean it manually with a cotton tip moistened with isopropyl alcohol, photographic lens cleaning solution or similar.

#6 Sig220

Sig220
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:43 AM

Thanks platypus I appriciate the information. I'm pretty suprised that the drive would just take a crap after so little use. I've had the computer for about a year used the disc drive probably a total of maybe 10hrs and 5hrs of that was in the last 3 days uploading to Itunes. I read another forum entry that had some similiar issues going on and the response was the upper/lower filters were messed up downloading Itunes and or you could download some firmware that would fix the issue?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:12 AM

The trick with checking if the drive can read to boot up from a bootable CD tells you if there's any value in pursuing other possibilities. If it can't read the CD to boot, nothing in the Windows installation will help. If it can read to boot, then the filter drivers may be the issue. It's extremely unlikely that the drive's firmware has just stopped working, so equally unlikely that a firmware update would help.

#8 Sig220

Sig220
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:24 AM

Ok so if i do not have a bootable disk like a disc for windows xp ect... what can i use for a bootable disk option?

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:31 AM

Would a friend or neighbor have a bootable disc you could borrow? Any OS installation disc after Win98 (and some 98 CDs were bootable), or some computer magazine cover discs are Linux Live CDs.

#10 Sig220

Sig220
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

Ok so i have a windows XP boot disc put the disc in the drive restarted the computer and did not auto boot, is there something else I have to do to make this disc boot?

Edited by tg1911, 28 August 2010 - 10:24 PM.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:53 AM

Ensure that the drive is set as the first boot device in the BIOS setup. Some systems have an option displayed on the boot screen, like say Press F9, just to set boot order. Others you have to enter the BIOS setup using Esc or whatever alternative key is indicated, and choose first boot device, second etc. Some systems ask you to press a key to boot from the CD.

If the system continues on to boot from the hard drive even when the CD is the first boot device, then the drive has been unable to read the disc.

#12 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

Hello,

I was uploading my Audio CD's onto Itunes uploaded probably 15 of them and then all of a sudden my disk drive stopped reading anything that I put in it. When i load a disk the green light on the drive blinks like its working then 10 secs in it beeps then repeats the same action and just eventually stops and will not load anything. Tried this with a DVD as well an same thing nothing, if anyone has any ideas that would be great, Thanks.

Is your cd/dvd drive visible in my computer xp or computer vista/7
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#13 Wererobot

Wererobot

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

Hello Sig220, Hello Anyone Out There Who Might Be Able To Help!!!

I have experienced this same issue. So frustrating. The last time that my CD-DVD/Rom drive actually worked was when I was importing some CDs into iTunes. It has been exhibiting the same symtoms that you explain. I can burn discs, but no matter what I try, the OS/windows explorer will not recognize that a disc is in the "D:" drive nor run nor display any of the contents of any discs of any type.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition V2 Service Pack on an Alienware Area 51 PC, Intel Pentium 4, 3GHz with 1 GB RAM. The drivers are all up to date. The hardware is not the issue: I bought and replaced the disc drive twice and experienced the same issue each time (took the unecceasry new hardware back where I bought it from). I have tried clearing out the upper and lower filters in the registery. I have run Windows mechanic. I uninstalled iTunes completely. I reset the program access defaults from custom back to "Windows". I even took my PC to a repair guy here in Las Vegas, all to no avail - even he was stumped. He suggested installing Windows 7 and accepting the loss of all of the software that I have on my PC that I no loger have access to the the install discs for (ugh). Did you ever get a resolution to this issue?

Everyone seems to come back with some basic response that the laser is dirty, driver is not updated or the disc drive has gone bad. This does not appear to be the issue here at all based on my experiences. There is some kind of settings or software problem going on here, I presume, and from your post I am starting to think that it might havce some connection to iTunes...

I am at my wits end and dont really have the $$ to get in to a new computer, etc.

Anyone have any help/advice that they can provide? Many thanks in advance :thumbsup:

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

Wererobot,
If you have a problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic.
This will help to avoid the confusion, of trying to help two or more people, in the same thread, with different problems.
Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be totally different due to different hardware, software, system requirements, etc....
This is also known as hijacking a thread, which is not considered to be proper forum etiquette.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 Wererobot

Wererobot

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:39 PM

My apologies. Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users