Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question regarding Spybot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowMatrix

ShadowMatrix

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:49 PM

Every time I try to update my copy of Spybot S&D, the updates won't work and a message appears saying "!! Bad checksum!" I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program twice now and nothing seems to help.

On another note, does anyone else ever have the issue where you open another Internet Explorer window, and instead of the address showing in the window as it should, there are parts of other windows previously open on top of the browser and it won't let you type in a new internet address? Did I even explain that right? Bah. Thanks :-)

Kendra

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 One Dot Com

One Dot Com

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:51 PM

Click on: "Safer Networking # 2 Europe" from there take your pick.
The default download might be busy, that's why you get"Bad checksum.

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:58 PM

HI (again :thumbsup: ) Kendra,

The bad checksum problem is usually because the server is busy or some other problem on their end when you try to download updates for Spybot. Try downloading from a different location.

There is a button between Search for Updates and Download Updates that should say something like Safer Networking #1 (Europe) or something similar. On the right of that button is a teeny tiny arrow pointing down. Click that and you will have a choice of servers. Select one and then click Download Updates. If you still get a bad checksum, try another one.

I just got a bad checksum for malwarebites, but SecurityWonks seems to be working.

Don't know about your other problem. Could be malware. Will need more information. Let us know what Spybot finds and what the processes are you are wondering about in your other thread. Sounds like the subject for a new topic tho, let us know how it goes with Spybot.

Edit: Sorry One Dot Com, you beat me to the punch. I didn't realize you don't have to click the little arrow any more. :flowers:

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 11:12 PM

The same thing happened to me just yesterday. After picking through the the update locations, I finally was able to d/l update. Do not remember which one. Think it was Europe #2, though.
Posted Image

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 11:30 PM

It seems that the checksum error occurs when the server you are downloading from gets very busy and overloads, from what I read in other forums. The solution seems to be to try other servers until you find one that is less busy.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users