Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Ubuntu 10.04 to Hard-Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 defurman

defurman

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:49 PM

I'm thinking of installing the latest version/flavour of Ubuntu 10.04 to the hard-drive. But i don't want the 'beta' version. Does anyone know when the official version 'Lts' will be released please. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:21 PM

It will be released on Thursday, the 29th.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

You can get a free live CD of Ubuntu 10.4.
As of today you can preorder.
It takes about a 3 week delivery time stateside.

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/?loggingout=1

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:39 PM

It's available now 29 April but I'd wait 'til everyone has downloaded ... if you see what I mean? Download speeds slow 'cos everyone wants a copy. I've been using it since Beta and have regularly run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, so I think I have the final LTS version. Might download a final version in a few days as a backup.o
On my laptop it's booting in 40 seconds from grub to wireless connected!! That's fast and what I'm looking for in OS for laptop.

Edited by 1002 Richard S, 29 April 2010 - 01:39 PM.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

The best method to get Ubuntu 10.04 today is through the BitTorrent links on ubuntu's website.

Posted Image

#6 Fat2000

Fat2000

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:02 PM

The best method to get Ubuntu 10.04 today is through the BitTorrent links on ubuntu's website.

I agree with Blackspyder, however I am a CD freak and am waiting for my new copy to come in the mail. I can't wait til I load the new disk into my new computer. I has been a long wait since the Beta so I hope everyone gets a clean error free copy and hope that the servers don't crash from the demand.

Peace out,
Frank

"I wear my TUX to LAN parties!"

#7 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:00 AM

I'm running the Netbook Edition of Ubuntu 10.04. Very impressed - plymouth works now (log on screen etc). From selecting Ubuntu at boot 'til on line (wireless) approx 45 seconds max including typing username & p/w. Boot time matters on laptop but less on desktop I guess.
Operationally moves fast - no figures but compared to Vista I can see a real difference.

Switching from Netbook to Gnome at logon works well in both directions.
Wireless connection simple to set up. Mobile broadband worked 'out of the box' on first time use.

Hope others also enjoying the newest Ubuntu?

Richard

#8 bealer46

bealer46

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:43 PM

i got it today on two of my machines.im checking it out

#9 defurman

defurman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:14 AM

Got it running on my spare pc and think it's brilliant!

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

I think this is the best version yet it is awesome, its fast and the boot time is amazing! :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users