Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Freezing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bouchusar

bouchusar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:41 PM

I believe this may be a hardware issue, but am totally uncertain...

I can't seem to get games to play longer than 2 minutes without my computer freezing. The sound dies out and the picture freezes and a hard reboot is needed. No error messages are displayed or sent to the Event viewer.

My system
ATX 12V 420 watts power supply
3 case fans
3.4 Ghz Pentium 4
GA-8N-SLI Royal F1 motherboard (Rev. 1001, BIOS 6.00PG)
2G RAM (PQI DDR2 667 PC2 5400)
74GB SATA drive (setup as single nvidia striping array)
Geforce 7800 GTX
Realtek onboard AC97 sound

This only happens in certain games, such as World of Warcraft and Rome Total War. The system run fine otherwise - scrolling the net, playing games such as C&C General and Star Wars Battlefront with no problems. I assume it is not a RAM issue if the problem is not universal. I updated my Direct X to 9.0c, I've tried the latest and previous Video Drivers. I disabled the onboard sound and ran the games with no sound and still it froze. I've tested the fans in the case and overheating doesn't seem to be an issue. I have a single Sata drive installed with the OS on it, but, once again, no other problems so I'm assuming I have the bios and raid setup correctly. I'm really not sure what else to do.
----

Rome Total war message (Froze then closed on it's own):

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 6.

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 7.

----

Ran another test with Battlefield 2 and it froze after about 2 minutes, also with no error message. I think it may have something to do with newer games???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:55 AM

Hello bouchusar and welcome to BC.

Have you done a scandisk/defrag lately? Cleaned up your temp files? Ccleaner may remove a lot of garbage from your system that is causing problems.

Have a look at How to set performance options in Windows XP for some ideas on how to tweak your system.

Edited by Leurgy, 26 September 2005 - 06:56 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:12 AM

I had a system freeze similar to your's. The fan on the video card quit working.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 bouchusar

bouchusar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 07:40 PM

It's a brand new system.

I just ran memtest and got quite a few errors. I then tested each stick in DIMM 1 and no errors were reported on either. I put them both back in DIMM 1 and DIMM 3 and errors again. I also tried them in DIMM2 and 4, no go. I'm not sure what the problem is? Is there some setting to get RAM to work with Gigabyte boards while on dual channel DDR2 mode? Is it a bios setting...I don't see any way to verify the voltage settings. All I see is +/- .1 changes to dimm voltage. Does turbo have to be enabled?

/sigh

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:10 AM

It must be frustrating to have such a great system and have the freezing. :thumbsup:

I'm looking at the motherboard manual and I'll just post some random thoughts as I go through it.

In the Bios:

On the Standard CMOS page is the memory identified correctly?

On the MB Intelligent Tweaker page:

Do you have C.I.A.2 set to Disabled? Probably best to do this for troubleshooting purposes.

What do Current and Target MEM Speed show?

On the Main page try using Fail Safe Defaults and then Optimized Defaults to see if the freezing still occurs with either of those settings.

Don't know if that will help or not, but those are the items I would be looking at if that computer were in front of me.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 sleektheelite

sleektheelite

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:26 AM

Hey bouchusar,

i have a fairly new computer, and the same thing - crashing mainly in games, Bf2, ET (very rarely) um...Stronghold it goes within 1 min...SO FRUSTRATING...

I have tried changing the RAM around etc, but thinking i'm going to try a different vid card.

Let me know your progress,

Cheers

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:48 AM

Before anything else you should be looking for a bigger power supply.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 01 November 2005 - 06:11 PM

hey im no expert but i would try and see if your fan and heatsink are working. I had a friend who had the same problem.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#9 sleektheelite

sleektheelite

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:05 PM

its got me puzzled...one weird problem i say!

#10 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 04:15 AM

Hey B,

Thought I would throw my two cents in, if you don't mind.

Is your computer always online when you play your games?

The reason I ask is because Zone Labs blocked Doom 3 from getting online so my game would always quit after about 10 minutes of playing. Firewalls are good but sometimes bad for gaming even if it is all offline.

After turning off my router I was able to play Doom 3 all night long. Just a side note, after I configured Zone Labs firewall to let Doom access the internet, the game got all that tougher.

Maybe I am imagining things but evil dogs are dodging my bullets? When do computer evil dogs move away from danger?

Hymn...anyway, try playing those games offline to see if your firewall is blocking. Also, Star Wars will try to access the internet always.

Hope that helps and let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:33 AM

Sounds like hardware to me - but that's just a guess. New computers are made of products that have sat on the shelf for months before being assembled. They may have been dropped, stored in the wrong conditions, etc. I bought a brand new Asus mobo from NewEgg and the CMOS battery was dead within 4 months.

First thing to do would be reset your BIOS to the default or Safe setting - that's what Gigabyte will do if you contact them for support.

Since the RAM wouldn't work in DIMM1 and DIMM3, yet would work alone in DIMM1, I'd suspect DIMM3 was bad. And, since it's a new system, the easiest thing to do would be to get Gigabyte to let you return it (RMA) for a new one.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:52 AM

It's a brand new system.

I just ran memtest and got quite a few errors. I then tested each stick in DIMM 1 and no errors were reported on either. I put them both back in DIMM 1 and DIMM 3 and errors again. I also tried them in DIMM2 and 4, no go. I'm not sure what the problem is? Is there some setting to get RAM to work with Gigabyte boards while on dual channel DDR2 mode? Is it a bios setting...I don't see any way to verify the voltage settings. All I see is +/- .1 changes to dimm voltage. Does turbo have to be enabled?

/sigh

This is where your problem is, i'm unfamiliar with your mobo so can't give you exact support but go into your bios and enter the DRAM settings/config check the CAS settings (with what your ram is rated at), voltage (most likely around 2.7, timmings (should be 1T for 2 sticks) and see if you have a setting for something called 4GB remapping (or something similar) and disable it.
If nothing out of the ordinary shows up in there, then it may be a faulty Mobo.

Chief.

P.S. the CAS latancy on DDR2 is normally quite high, see if your mobo supports it, cause if it doesn't it might be setting it too low (lower = faster) and the ram may not be able to run at such tight timmings.

#13 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:17 AM

Ignore my above post, i just looked at your mobo's bios manual and it seems you have no control over these settings. Check to see if Windows is dedecting both of your memory modules (start, right click my computer, properties) it will show you how much memory is installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users