Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC beeps frequently while typing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:32 PM

Experiencing an odd problem as of late, and after a little bit of looking around, it seems I'm not the only one with this problem.

While typing or playing a game, my PC will beep and skip the key I just pressed (or in the case of gaming, get stuck moving in one direction). I did see a trial-and-error solution from Microsoft who says it's most likely a start-up item that's interfering with the OS and to do a clean boot to narrow it down to the precise program that's causing the problem. I'll do that, but wanted to know if anyone else had this issue and was able to resolve it or at least know a common cause so I can address that specifically. The other thing in the back of my head is that I recall not having this problem until I tried alt-tabbing out of Oblivion, like a moron. Can alt-tab create this issue in certain situations? Is there a fix for that?

Specs:
Motherboard: EVGA NVIDIA 680i SLI
CPU: Intel 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo (E6600) and overclocked to 3.4ghz
RAM: 6gb Corsair Dominator SLI-ready at rated specs and timings (PC8500, I think, and lowered clock rate for 1:1 ratio with FSB)
HD: 640gb Western Digital Caviar at 7200 RPM
Audio: Onboard HD
Video: Two EVGA 8800GT Akimbo Superclocked in SLI mode

Thanks in advance all!
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

You are sure you do not have an issue with stickykeys? Check your control panel for EASE OF ACCESS CENTER settings and check what settings you have set for the keyboard.

Some features were created for handicaped users and those include some keyboard settings.

You might also check if you have a stuck key on your keyboard, which could cause the beeping you hear.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

Yep, checked both of those things, forgot to mention that. StickyKeys is turned off and I don't have a stuck key. Furthermore, it's never the same key, it could be the space bar, q, w, a number, etc. This tells me there's a glitch somewhere.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

This happens to me if I disregard a notice that has popped up, such as 'cookiewall'.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users