Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The lights are on, but nobody is home (PSU problem?)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SCSI Needs Your Help

SCSI Needs Your Help

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:17 AM

After working on project yesterday, I'm sure it is coincidence, buit as I went to click on "Save", the monitor displayed "monitor status no input signal" then went to sleep.

First thing I did was look at the on/off button on the front of the Tower and it was flashing faster than it has ever done.

As I was staring at the PC wondering what was going on, all the lights and sockets in the house stopped working. There was a power cut, this affected the whole street as it turns out.

When the power came back on, the on/off button was still flashing and as I turned the computer round to check cables were all as they should be I noticed that there was a green light flashing on the back of the PSU.

Apart from the two flashing lights, there are no further signs of life. No fans, no beeps, nothing. When I hit the standby button on the monitor I just get that same message "monitor status no input signal" and the monitor goes to sleep again.

Looking at old messages on here, I think it might be a PSU issue, but am looking for some advice. Is it a power problem or, as I first thought a virus that has caused my computer to stop responding?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:48 AM

Did you try just unplugging it for a bit.
Power surges can trip internal breakers.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:30 PM

I would first try what meuchel suggested above, hopefully this will reset the PSU and things will function normally again.

If that is not the case, then please post back and tell us this before we give you any un-needed advice.

But there are things we can have you try to futher diagnos what might have failed working and why.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 SCSI Needs Your Help

SCSI Needs Your Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:11 AM

@ meuchel: Yes, the first thing I did was unplug it first for an hopur, then overnight. The flashing was still there the next day.

@ MrBruce1959: I have even tried taking all the connectors off the motherboard and following the HP troubleshooting guide on line at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ct=460844#N1077 under the heading "Power supply light on or flashes"

At the bottom of that section it does say:

NOTE: If an electrical storm or power surge has recently occurred, then it is more likely that the power supply, the modem, or motherboard is damaged and requires replacement. If the power supply was damaged due to power outage or storm, this may not be covered under the "act of nature" policy in the warranty statement. Refer to the warranty statement that came with your computer for more information.

I am keen to recover the project I was working on, I pray that it has autosaved so when I eventually boot up the programme again my finished work will be rcoverable! ;)

Thanks to you both for responding.

#5 SCSI Needs Your Help

SCSI Needs Your Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:11 AM

Double post.

Edited by SCSI Needs Your Help, 27 April 2010 - 03:12 AM.

#6 SCSI Needs Your Help

SCSI Needs Your Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:56 AM

Extra information:
Last night I plugged the power in to the PSU while it was not plugged in to the motherboard and the green light came on and stayed on without flashing.

#7 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

if the light is solid on the psu now then the breaker reset.
but if still no boot then it could have weakened the psu or taken out another component.
time to open the case and reset connections to the motherboard.

#8 SCSI Needs Your Help

SCSI Needs Your Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

Thanks meuchel, I've taken off all connections to the motherboard left it and plugged all back in. No response from the PC.

I now know that my motherboard is a MSI MS-7184 HP/Compaq name: AmethystM-GL6E

Will I be able to replace with any other Socket 939 motherboard?

#9 SCSI Needs Your Help

SCSI Needs Your Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:37 AM

Bought a new power supply, and that helped solved the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users