Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Front panel connections wiring for new motherboard.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aarmin

Aarmin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:13 AM

Hello,

I知 preparing to replace my motherboard (as well as other components) in my old Sony Vaio PCV-RX650 desktop.

I want to build a decent Media-PC to watch TV, movies, and just general internet and webmail. And I am quite happy with my Sony Vaio chassis. The problem is I知 lost on how to connect the Sony痴 system panel connectors (system power and hard disk LED / drive activity LED / power button / ect)?

Sony Vaio PCV-RX650 desktop
motherboard part #: Asus P48-LX rev.1.04
system panel card part #: SWX-66

I'm stumped to how exactly Sony did this:
Posted Image motherboard (P48-LX) connector
red wire (pink highlight), black wire (gray) ... all other not connected
No ground wire for Power button? How am I going to connect the front panel wires to the new motherboard?

Is this correct?
PWRBTN = power button
IDELED = LED light for
PWRLED = LED light for power?
RESETCON = ?
Speaker Connector = what speaker, motherboard speaker?
IDELED2 = whaa?
SUSLED = whaaa?

The 8 red and black wires...
Posted Image

...that connect to the front panel circuit board (SWX-66)...
Posted Image

Here is the motherboard I plan on purchasing:
Asus M4A785TD-M EVO
Posted Image

Am I making this more difficult than it needs to be? I thought there was a ground connection for each connection?

My Sony desktop does not have a reset button, or front audio ports.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Another question, the front of my case has two USB ports, which is fine, except the wire
picture: http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/106/usbbf.jpg

I don't know what the yellow wire loops are for (nothing?), but the connector will not fit my new motherboard (to long), is there a place I can purchase a USB header connector (typically blue colored)?

Edited by Aarmin, 26 April 2010 - 05:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:03 AM

You are fighting a losing battle. Sony is among the worst for proprietary connectors. I wouldn't plug a thing from a Sony case into a spec motherboard without having pinouts (which you do fortunately) to guide me. They are bad about designing those connectors for quick assembly but unfortunately it only works with that specific board.

The connector you have on the Sony is about as normal as it gets. The connector on the case now might ground the power ground PWR_BTN_G through another wire in the connector.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=620705 It starts getting interesting about post 12.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Aarmin

Aarmin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:03 AM

So, I should get a computer case?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:16 AM

I am not saying that. It will just take time to get stuff figured out. You already have your pinout diagrams. You will need to figure out another ground to use for your power switch, which is no problem as a ground is a ground. LEDs are easy to figure out. Take a piece of tape/sticky label, and label each one of your Sony case wires before you pull them out of that 1 piece connector. After that just plug in what matches. Been through this with old USB card readers/front USB ports on cheap cases before. I used a little pair of needle nose pliers to install each wire.

Edited by dpunisher, 26 April 2010 - 09:01 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Aarmin

Aarmin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

I went ahead and bought a Cool Master Centurion 541 computer case. I liked the styling of the Vaio, oh well :thumbsup:

The Cool Master case looks nice. I guess I will put the Vaio back together and sell locally on craigslist; the Vaio is the heaviest computer I've ever picked up so I do not know how much shipping would cost; lots of metal.

Besides that, I'm not sure if the CPU and heatsink/fan would fit, being that the power supply sits right on top of it. Literally, the CPU fan and power supply fan are within 1.5" or so directly together.

Edited by Aarmin, 26 April 2010 - 07:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users