Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open any programs, suspect malware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sophie11

Sophie11

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:09 AM

I recently had a virus on my laptop disguised as "Vista Smart Security". Using advice I'd seen from this website I used malwarebytes to get rid of it. This was successful but, second time round when the virus attacked again, I couldn't use run malwarebytes or rkill, neither would open.

So I downloaded Super Antispyware. At the time I thought it was odd that the scan found 929 infected files but nevertheless I sent them to quarantine. I should probably say that I stopped the scan after 2 hours, which I regret now.

After the reboot however I'm left with an even bigger problem. I can't open any programs at all. Every time I try to open explorer a message comes up saying "Choose the program you want to use to open this file" And I try to select the right program and the same message keeps popping up.

I first posted this
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1730161

and was advised to to regain your file associations from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm. But this won't work because I can't even open the website (I'm posting from my desktop) And any command prompts I try to do are denied. So am I still infected and what should I do next?

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:16 AM

Let's try this first and take it from there:

Please download exeHelper to your desktop.
If your AV program throws up a warning about the program, ignore the warning. Some AV's flag this program because of how it works... that's all.
  • Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
  • A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
  • Post the contents of exehelperlog.txt ( Will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com and should open at the end of the scan)
Note : If the window shows a message that says "Error deleting file", please re-run the program before posting a log - and post the two logs together ( they will both be in the one file ).

#3 Sophie11

Sophie11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:41 AM

Thanks, but how can I download that if I can't even open a webpage?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users