Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVE Malware on winxp running Chrome and Firefox

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kellynj

kellynj

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:41 AM

This morning my laptop had ave malware on it (it was fine last night). I tried running AVG rescue off a CD - it gets partway through and just goes to a blank screen. When I try and reboot in safe mode, pressing the F8 key gets me an obnoxious, smoke detector like sound that continues until I take my finger off the F8 key, but the laptop won't boot in safe mode. I tried opening notepad to follow some of the ave fixes, but the notepad blinks in and then disappears. Any program I try and open comes up with "this program is infected" and it doesn't open. Any files I open immediately get infected with the malware (file goes from 78 folders at 2.2MB to 300+ folders at 4GB - but I can only see the original ones). I'm using the other computer to post this. I'm not very tech savvy and I'm trying to avoid having to reinstall Windows. Help please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users