Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove those pesky .pf files? Help,please?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EmaWW

EmaWW

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:33 AM

I have Prefetch folder in my HD containing .pf files

The problem with them is that they are not deleted when a program is uninstalled - Iíve tried the standard Windows Uninstaller and also different clean uninstallers like Revo, CleanseIn, Free Uninstall -none can delete .pf files and I have to remove them manually .

Some of them are easy to identify as connected to a certain program but some are impossible to understand what they belong to - here are just a few examples:
JQSNOTIFY.EXE-359F83C5.pf
CNMSM61.EXE-2726A2B6.pf
DWWIN.EXE-2C373FB7.pf
DUMPREP.EXE-0AF2BF67.pf

Question is:
How to identify .pf files that are remains from uninstalled software so I can erase them?

(And by the way what is the function of these .pf files, what they really do?)

Thanks in advance for any easy to understand reply!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:50 AM

<<The problem with them is that they are not deleted when a program is uninstalled - Iíve tried the standard Windows Uninstaller and also different clean uninstallers like Revo, CleanseIn, Free Uninstall -none can delete .pf files and I have to remove them manually.>>

Well...I have about 100 of these files on my system...and I wonder why you are concerned with them?

In any case, take a look at Prefetch.

I would take issue with the assertion that fooling around with these files is worth the effort. Of the 95 files I see listed, the majority are well less than 100kb in size. 100 MB of hard drive space...is pretty insignificant on a system like mine that has well over 500GB of occupied hard drive and several hundred thousand files.

Louis

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

I also would advise against wasting any time and effort worrying about the Prefetch folder. It looks after itself.

See this article from Ed Bott:

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000743.html

Important things to recognise are:

Suggestions to manually alter or clear the Prefetch folder come from folk who misunderstand how prefetch works.

Having redundant .pf files does no harm. XP will trim the folder down if the contents reaches 128 files, which it will periodically if you install & uninstall a lot of software.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users