Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recognising hard drives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Face50

Face50

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:19 PM

Hello all. Iv just bought all the parts from eBuyer and built myself a new computer. Just wondering if anyone could tell me why my computer is giving me this warning/error message everytime I start windows (as it's loading up);

'There is no disk in drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\HardDisk1\DR2'

It's very odd, and it doesnt make any difference whether I click 'cancel' or 'continue' (obvisouly 'retry' just brings up the same message).

Another wierd thing, that may well be relivant is that the normasl local drive (my hard drive) is letter 'H', rather than the normal 'C'. Is there any way to change this? Also, in 'My Computer', under 'Devices with Removable Storage', aswell as the normal 'A' Drive, theres a 'C' drive, and an 'E', 'F', and 'G' drive! When I double click any of them though, they give me this;

'Please insert a disk into drive'

Whats going on????????
Cheersccccccccc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:57 PM

Somehow your c drive and H drive are mixed up. It may be the way you have them connected on the cables in the computer.

These should not be on the same cable.

The hard drive should be on its own (or with a slave hard drive if there is one) connected to the proper motherboard connection, and the floppy drive and optical drive (cd or dvd) should be on the other.

See your motherboard manual for which should be which.

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 September 2005 - 08:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users