Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting a networked printer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:06 PM

Hello,

Today I was trying to setting a computer to connect a printer which was in existing network, lets says this Computer A, Computer B and Computer C are already in network and running on Xp and Vista.

Printer (Lanier 232C) is connected to router over there, From A computer the printer was shared. I have run the small office network setup wizard, then went to network places and looked for work group computers, then when tried to connect, Comp A, it was asking user name and password then I entered Admin details but I wasnt able to login onto that, therefore I wasnt able to connect to printer.

Then I tried using the option of "Add a printer" and then entered \\Computer A\Lanier 232C and it said printer didnt exist, but this was same name in "printer and faxes" of computer A.

Now anybody can advise me on this on how I wanted to connect this printer without dependant on other computers if possible. Else I will go with connecting to other computer A and then connecting this printer.

Thanks in advance,
Shree

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:45 PM

If the printer is connected directly to the router then it is not dependent on a PC. To add the printer you need its IP address. You'd add a printer using TCP/IP printer port. Enter the IP address of the printer. Of course you would need the drivers for the printer.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:05 PM

I knew Cavedweller it would be you who would answer it first.

Ok please tell me where should I enter this printer IP address !! Is it after running the "Add a printer" and then search for the network printer ?

Sorry being noob :thumbsup:

Edited by sreez, 25 April 2010 - 11:14 PM.

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#4 sreez

sreez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:12 AM

Dont worry mate. I have found the option and was able to connect it. Thanks for the Help :thumbsup:

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:49 PM

I try to get things answered quickly! =)

Glad you found it and it worked out =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users