Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Age of Empires II freezes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cullism

cullism

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

This is a recent problem. Sometimes (not always) when I am playing Age of Empires II the game screen disappears and instead I get a black rectangle in the top left hand corner of the screen. At the same time the cursor disappears. I can bring back the game by pressing Control, Alt, Delete then clicking the cancel button. The problem will then return at random intervals for the rest of the game.

When I have this problem I run Advanced Windows Care and Glary Registry Repair which fixes the problem for a few hours. I can tell when the problem is going to arise because I get flickering lines across the screen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

Registry repair/cleaner programs are not generally recommended in these forums, as they may cause more problems than they solve.

That said, updating video drivers and reinstalling the game is one suggestion for such problems.

You can also run Malwarebytes, or some such program, just to check that your computer is not infected,
as you mention that this is a recent problem.

#3 cullism

cullism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:14 PM

I did as you suggested. My video driver was up to date and Spybot found lots of malware which it deleted. I then uninstalled the game using Revo Uninstaller then re-installed it. So far, so good. I'll probably be back if the problem returns.

#4 Marrykitty

Marrykitty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:10 AM

several years ago, I play this game with my roommate.

#5 cullism

cullism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

I thought I had solved the problem by re-installing Age of Empires II. It has returned! This time I got an error message saying "Could not initialize graphics system. make sure your video card and driver are compatible with Direct Draw".

The game has worked for years without a hitch. What is Direct Draw? Do I need it? If not, how can I get rid of it?

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:52 AM

Hi cullism

This would be my procedure:

1. Run Malwarebytes (free)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

2. Run SuperAntiSpyware (free)

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

3a. Uninstall AOE completely. (could do that before you scan - reboot before scan).
3b. I would probably then defrag my drive.
3c. At this point you may wish to create a restore point.

4. Then, go to: Control Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Troubleshoot

slide Hardware acceleration to FULL;
tick Enable write combining;
apply, OK.

5. Reinstall Direct X and then reboot.

DirectX 9.0c (full package)

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html

6. Then test DirectX:

Start / Run / type in the command 'dxdiag' or 'dxdiag.exe' (without quotes)
Click OK, wait until full report appears, i.e. no more little green blocks.

Click on the Tabs; each page of the report, except first and last, should say at the bottom 'no problems found'.

7. Click on Display Tab - Perform all DirectX tests for AGP Acceleration / Direct Draw, etc.
(DirectX features should all be enabled).

8. Reinstall AOE and reboot.

9. Check Device Manager to ensure there are no yellow warnings in relation to the display, or anything, for that matter.
(right click on My Computer icon on desktop; select properties / hardware / device manager - or however you get to it).

See if there's any change.

If you still have problems, you may have to reseat your video card and reinstall video drivers.
-----------------------------------

Reply to following if you wish:

I am assuming you have XP.

Is this the old AOE for Win 95 / 98, which runs in about 32MB.

Are you running the program in compatibility mode from your XP, or is it a download designed for XP, (if they exist).

What's your computer specs, OS, (are all updates installed), free space on Hard Disk, RAM, Video Card etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marrykitty

And your point is ?

Edited by petewills , 02 May 2010 - 05:22 AM.

#7 cullism

cullism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:25 AM

Thanks, petewills. I'll try what you suggest and let you know how I go.

#8 cullism

cullism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:34 AM

I should mention that I have Vista Business. previously I have done much of what you suggest (uninstall, run spybot Search and Destroy, defragment using Revo Uninstaller). Vista doesn't have Display in Control Panel. I'll follow the steps you suggest.

#9 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:51 AM

Have a look at this link. I have NO experience of Vista, I'm sorry.

Vista - Problem with Age of Empires II

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-games/96269-...empires-ii.html

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:43 AM

Just in case I'm unable to log in again today, I think the same principles apply to Vista.
Odd that it's a recent problem, if it has been running OK previously on Vista.

As to point 4 of my Post #6, I suppose it depends on what options are available to you
in connection with your particular video card.
Seems to be something like Control Panel / Personalise.

You could try things the other way round.

I said DirectX first, then install AOE.

But reinstall DirectX, just in case the subsequent install of AOE put an older DirectX version / components
on your computer or messed with DirectX in some way.

(Clutching at straws here, if dxdiag reports an install of ver 9.0c and no problems, with AOE installed).

FYI, Can't find a link, but I seem to recall that Spybot is not now regarded too well here.

Edited by petewills , 02 May 2010 - 08:15 AM.

#11 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:42 PM

A lot of old games won't work on Vista. I can't play KOTOR darn it. Sometimes if you click on compatibility mode it will work. Or so I've heard, it never worked for me.......

I used to play Age of Empires on my Xp machine. Cool game for it's time.

#12 cullism

cullism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:41 AM

I don't think its a compatibility problem as I've been playing on my lenovo with Vista Business for several years.

#13 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:58 AM

This is the only other possible solution I can find, (forums.techarena.in).

Disable your graphics card.

Go to the device manager (through "system" on the classic style control panel) and find it in the "display" field.
Disable it. It will probably ask you to restart your pc; say yes, or do it later.
There may be a reduction in graphics quality.
Does AOE now work.

To re-enable your graphics card, just go to the device manager and enable it.

I've even seen suggestions to use an older graphics driver, i.e. roll-back; works for some, but that seems a retrograde step.

As an XP user I cannot test any of these suggestions. Seems to have been a problem for a couple of years for many. :thumbsup:

#14 eslfish

eslfish

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:35 AM

IMO. I would just reinstall the game...don't have any programs running under that would effect AoE.
Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
6144MB RAM 500 GB HD ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

#15 cullism

cullism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

petewills,

I did as you suggested (disabling the video card, rebooting and re-enabling it). After a couple of hours AOE II is still working without a problem, so I'll keep my fingers crossed! As esflish suggests, I have a sneaking suspicion that something running in the background is having a deleterious effect on the game. I will wait and see.

Thanks for your help to date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users