Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RWA3

RWA3

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

OK guys n gals. Long story short... I had removed the power cord from my Emachine W3700 about a month ago to keep the kids off the internet without being supervised since some issues had come up... I decided they had used the G/F's laptop enough and decided to give them another chance.

I plugged the cord into the surge protected strip first then tried to plug into the back of the tower and Sparks! I thought WTF? I thought..well the strip is pretty old.. So,being the brain that I am I plug the cord into the tower first then directly into the wall. I'm sure we all know that sound and SMELL when you know you've really messed up now...hehe.

So...I have a few questions... First one is,Have I completely ruined this computer? The second is...after reading some on the net I see that Bestec is apparently not the most respected brand out there for power supplies. Will this power supply ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817104951 )replace this one http://www.justpowersupplies.com/bestec-AT...ower-supply.htm )? And does theterm REV:D on the one I have mean that the replacement must say that too?.... Sorry. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to this stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:36 PM

I wouldn't recommend that power supply. It's almost $35 shipped, and for $40 (after a mail in rebate) you can get this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139008

Corsair is about the best brand out there.

I couldn't find your computer on EMachine's site, so I can't say for sure if this is compatible, but it should be.

I doubt you ruined anything else, though, so your computer is probably okay. Maybe next time a password would be safer! :thumbsup:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:53 PM

Based on what you have told us above, there is a possibility someone stuck something metallic into the PSU and it caused a short, that is if that is where the sparks flew out of, because sparks are an indicator of a direct short circuit.

There could have been something wedged into the PSU's power socket as well.

I am not sure if you have any children under 6 in your house, but children do love hiding things in strange spots, specially coins.

The chances of the rest of the computer being harmed from this event are about null.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:14 PM

Antec is a great brand. Reliable and priced good.

#5 styxbound

styxbound

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:49 AM

You didn't necessarily do anything wrong, rwa3. But it is possible the whole machine is fried; I had that happen not long ago. You might check the old power supply and see if the voltage switch was in the proper position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users