Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Various Problems with XP Home on old 2003 Gateway:Pre Dial a Fix

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Phammcast

Phammcast

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

I just recently installed a windows installer hotfix from microsoft.com. I doubt that this fixed the installer problem. It' keeps returning a message saying "There is a problem with this windows installer package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code is 2908." I found out that it means that it is having a problem registering components. I also cannot run disk check without it saying "Windows was unable to complete the disk check". When accessing MSCONFIG, I get "An access denied error was returned when attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes." Also, I cannot stream movies through my web browser for very long without the sound, video, or both completely cutting off unless I close the browser and restart...At which time it does it again in another couple of minutes and affects even offline video and sound on my computer. Also certain programs and games that I used to be able to run with no problem suddenly won't run without severe slowdown or hanging completely. Also, I cannot access my bios (F2) from the boot menu!! That's all I can think of for now. I'm also getting help with this from Myrti in a separate topic but through the suggestion of the guide for "Dial-A-Fix" I made this one also. I've already used programs such as Spybot S&D, MBAM,Superantispyware, Winpatrol, scanned online with Panda, scanned with A-squared, I also freed up over 4gb of space by deleting unneeded items and apps. The following things I have already done with Myrti: OTL, Win32kdiag, Sophos, Rootrepeal & GMER (which both froze my entire system and I had to unplug to restart). My system information is: Windows XPHome 2002, Service Pack 2, Intel Celeron 2.8ghz, 248 RAM. If there is anything I'm leaving out please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Phammcast

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:49 PM

Hi Phammcast -

Have you got any hp products on your computer.?
printers ,scanners, imaging etc. The error seems to point there.
Also ensure the .net Framework is installed (from Microsoft) - M/soft updates and check you have all updates installed -
Then check your drivers for updates -

Thank You - :thumbsup:

Edited by noknojon, 25 April 2010 - 08:56 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:24 AM

<>

That points to a problem with either the file system...or the hard drive.

I suggest running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic on the drive.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#4 Phammcast

Phammcast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:29 AM

I figured it was .Net Framework. I read somewhere it may have something to do with the mscoree.dll file.Everytime Windows update tries to update it, I get an error message saying it was unable to find that file so it couldn't install the update.Also, I do have Hp software on the computer but these problems started way before I install that software. How would repair such a critical object without causing further damage?

Edited by Phammcast, 28 April 2010 - 04:30 AM.

#5 Phammcast

Phammcast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:13 PM

Did everybody abandon me? I've been waiting for a reply.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:47 PM

You didn't seem to respond to any suggestions, advice, etc....IMO, there was no need to suggest things if you were just going to do whatever you felt like doing. I can't speak for anyone else here at the forum.

Perhaps you might re-read the previous posts...review the ideas, suggestions, etc. now that it seems that your malware situation is clarified.

Also...for the record...when a member has a malware thread going, it is advised that the member not seek advice/suggestions in a different forum where the personnel have no idea of malware issues and the problems which ensue from such well-intentioned suggestions/comments.

Myrti devoted considerable time and effort...trying to help you resolve what could have been malware issues....yet your final comment is yet another line about "being abandoned" because a person trained to deal with malware...told you that you seemed to have hardware problems which she wasn't trained or otherwise in a position to help you with.

The date of her last post was 5 May 10...it's now 7 May 10.

Louis

#7 Phammcast

Phammcast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:34 AM

Myrti asked me if I would like to continue on this thread with you all and close the thread with her. I told her no because when you all are not able to get back to me, she usually does faster and there's nothing wrong with that because I know how busy you all are.For the record I only came here as per the instructions for "Dial a fix". I only asked if I was abandoned because it was over a week before I got a response from anyone or at least what showed up on my browser and email. I have discovered that after my post on May 1 all other subsequent posts went to a third page so that was a mistake on my part and not the part of Myrti or anyone else. That's why I didn't see her post about not having the necessary knowledge. The guide told me to let you all know everything ahead of time such as all problems and steps taken and that's what I did. If this is not what I am supposed to be doing I would suggest removing this from the "Before you post about a problem" topic. I wanted someone to answer the latest question I had about .net Framework before I continued. I still don't understand the "just going to do whatever you felt like doing" part. I have followed all instructions from Myrti to the best of my ability and planned on following yours after I got an answer to my question and I also answered the HP products question. I don't know what it is I did on my own contrary to any advise you gave me and I already told you about the installer hotfix. I appreciate anyone here who selflessly tries to help me and more than appreciate Myrti's efforts!! Now hopefully we can continue without small misunderstandings, rants and finger pointing, if not, then I'll just leave you all in peace. Later today I will try to get a blank disk and implement the hard drive test. Any info on the .net Framework question I posted above?

Edited by Phammcast, 09 May 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#8 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:35 AM

Phammcast,

Please calm down and be patient. In the first place, I cannot see any indication that somebody is blaming anyone.

If you are talking about what Hamluis said:

Also...for the record...when a member has a malware thread going, it is advised that the member not seek advice/suggestions in a different forum where the personnel have no idea of malware issues and the problems which ensue from such well-intentioned suggestions/comments.

That was just a reminder. It would really be hard for everyone to attend to your problem if they would not be well informed about all the help that you are getting especially you are getting it from different threads. Maybe that's the same reason why Myrti asked you if you would like to close your thread with her.

It's also great that you decided to follow Hamluis' advice of running a Hard Drive Diagnostic.

P.S.
I look forward to having your problem solved and I hope that we can have you here as a forum regular who contributes in the symbiotic environment here on Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup:
Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

#9 Phammcast

Phammcast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:10 PM

Thanks Cosmic_Sniper. I hope everyone else that I encounter is as pleasant as you. I followed all instructions as directed and plan to keep doing so until I am relieved of my problem or I am asked to leave. I still can't find my pack of blank discs. I may have lost them in the process of moving. Is there a downloadable and execute version of the test? One where I wouldn't need a boot disk.

#10 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:11 AM

Have you read the page corresponding to the links given by hamluis? I have read a bit of the first link and I find it very informative for your concern.
Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

#11 Phammcast

Phammcast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

The link for Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics sends me to diagnostic tools for Mybook Studio Edition. Can I have a link directly to Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for WD-800bb ATA drives? It's very old (2003). I already did a scan and report with Everest of my system so that is available if needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users