Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem and mouse turning off

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nimue

Nimue

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:36 PM

Hi,
I'm new here and have been having a problem for the last 4-6 weeks and haven't been able to find anywhere to get some help and finally stumbled across this forum and was hoping somebody here may be able to give me some advice. I hope I'm posting this in the right stop, I'm not really sure of the cause of the problem so wasn't sure how to categorise it.
Ok, so my problem, every so often when not being used my computer will make a strange popping noise and then the monitor goes blank. When I go back to use the computer next, its like the mouse and modem have been switched off. The lights on the mouse are out and the cursor wont move, I have to wait several minutes for it to restart (which is also accompanied by another loud pop when it comes back on). My computer also shows that the internet has been disconnected and I have to wait for that to restart aswell before I can do anything. Other than being seriously annoying, it doesn't seem to have any real impact, but it seems to be increasing in frequency so I'm getting concerned (plus the popping noise it makes doesn't sound too wonderful).
I was wondering if anybody here has any idea what is going on? I'm fairly ok with general basic workings of a computer, but anything beyond that I'm not so good, and I've looked at everything I can think of. I suspected it was the mouse (as I was having some other issues when this first started), however I purchased a new mouse and it still happens. I have no idea if this is a hardware of software issue. My computer isn't very old and is within warranty, so if its something with that I'd like to know sooner rather than later so it's still covered. Also, no idea if it helps or not but for the record I'm running windows Vista.
Hope somebody can help me and thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meuchel

meuchel

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:14 PM

this popping noise you speak of, where is it comming from?
Monitor? CPU? Speakers?
Is it a tube style monitor or flat screen?
how old is the computer exactly?
does the computer live in a dirty environment ie smoke or dusty?

#3 Nimue

Nimue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:37 AM

I'm not entirely sure where the noise is coming from, I think it's the speakers, I think they are turning off too.
It's a flat screen monitor and I think the computer is around 12 months give or take. And no, the computer is in a fairly clean environment, away from anything dirty, no smoke or anything and I make sure it stays clean, no dust around it.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:08 AM

is it possible the computer is going into standby? when a computer goes into standby, it basically powers everything except the bare essentials off like the monitor etc) and if you have a wireless mouse, its likely it goes into standby as well, which is why you have to play with the mouse to get it to reactivate, and then you have to move the mouse around so the computer recognizes it, so that it wakes the computer up. By restart, do you mean you have to press the power button and let windows restart, or when you move the mouse does the monitor slowly turn back on and the windows background appear? The popping sound sometimes occurs when the speakers all the sudden receive power, so that would be normal if it was on standby, and when in standby, the modem/network adaptor is probably turned off, so it will have to reaquire a IP address to get back on. Does this sound like whats happening to your computer? if so, go to control panel, hardware, power options, change power plan, and create a custom plan where the computer never sleeps and monitor never turns off. If that doesnt work or if the above scenario I described isnt exactly what happenned to you computer, please reply with:

Type of computer (model number etc)
clarification of what it is doing (like by restart do you mean total system restart)
and how long you have been having this problem.

thanks. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:34 AM

Another explanation for the popping noise, it could be the monitor. Mine makes a popping noise when it comes back on after the screen saver has been activated. I haven't figured out what purpose the pop serves.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:02 PM

Another explanation for the popping noise, it could be the monitor. Mine makes a popping noise when it comes back on after the screen saver has been activated. I haven't figured out what purpose the pop serves.

If the monitor has a CRT that would be the degaussing taking place.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

its a flat screen

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users