Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

changing out MB to accommodate new CPU

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Camelot

Camelot

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

I have an old pc. Friend built it for me and have since passed away so I will not depart with it. Besides, it is purple! So, I have increased the RAM to 1.5GB. I am sure I can replace the Mother Board by taking pictures of everything before I start.

What I have now is a DFI AM75-TC with Athlon 1.33 GHz CPU

I was checking my Road Runner Speedtest and it was slow. Called RR and they thought it was the modem and I replaced that. Still bad and he came out. He checked his laptop to my modem and got an excellent speed. He then showed me
my CPU performance level in the Task Manager and it goes to 100% when ever a page loads.

I checked out replacing the CPU last year and my MB can't accept a faster CPU. So, he told me I can go on Ebay and buy a MB with the CPU already attached. Problem is I have no clue on which one to get.

Do I need to let you know what else I have attached to my Mother Board so it will work with the new one. Or, will everything fit?

Thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

with a system that slow, you could feasibly find a faster CPU to work, but not much of one, youd be better off starting from scratch. However, that board does have suport for up toa 2.1 ghz AMD athlon, this particular one here http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlo...A2600DKV3C.html if you can find one.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:47 PM

I agree with Patriot, you would be better off starting over with a new motherboard, operating system, and RAM. It shouldn't cost more than $300 to do this if you're not a gamer.

3939.png

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:13 AM

well, being that its an older computer hes likely to need a new PSU as well, but again, not to pricey.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

I really wanted to change out the mother board as well. I looked last year and all I found about my MB is it couldn't go past 1.2 GHz. Just looked again and I see a 266 MHz Front side bus speed and I don't know what that means.

Can't I just replace the MB and switch the hard drive and cards to the new one? I wouldn't have to deal with uploading windows again. Or, does the uploading of windows need to take place for it to recognize that it has a faster CPU? Plus loading what the video card had. I am sure I still have the discs for all the software on everything.

I just bought the RAM last year and have the max of 1.5GB.

The PSU was replaced 2 - 3 years ago. The old one ran since 2001. So hopefully I won't have to be replacing this one.

I don't mind doing the extra work on it, if it means I will still be using his box.

Thanks for your help.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

as far as going past 1.2 ghz Im afraid to say that whoever informed you have that was misinformed, your already past that speed of 1.33 ghz. here is the support list for your motherboard http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-DFI/AM75-TC.html it has on there all the CPUs that that motherboard supports including the one I recomended. As far as replacing it with a better motherboard, that is one of the higher chipsets of the day. If you upgrade the motherboard and CPU you will most likely have to upgrade the memory as well.

picard5.jpg

#7 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

Well, you have to bear with me since I don't get the 266 MHz and the 1.33 GHz CPU that I have.

I went to the link in your last post but I don't really know what to look at as how high I can go for my CPU. It looks like mine is the bottom row of the first batch they labeled "AMD Athlon" which is the kind of CPU I have. When I click on that, it brings me to a CPU with a 200MHz and I don't see any where it stating GHz. Just like that first link you gave me.

I was following this page about my MB
http://www.motherboardpro.com/DFI-AM75-TC-p-2156.html

This says my CPU can be between 600 MHz and 1.2 GHz. I guess the guys at the pc shop that changed my MB and upgrading my CPU just pushed it and gave me the 1.33GHz CPU. So now I am really confused.

For the memory you mentioned. I upgrading that last year to 1.5GB. So that means if I get a new MB, I will have to buy more RAM. Or, that the new MB will have only 3 slots for it and each of mine are the 512.

Does this make sense?

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

the 1.3 ghz is the speed of the processer. the 266 mhz is the front side bus-that is basically the speed in which the processor, communicates with the rest of the computer, like say the memory. the link I gave you is DFIs official list of CPUs supported by that motherboard, it tells you the CPU (higher the number the better) the Bus speed, and what BIOS revision you need to run it. You may have to update the BIOS to run the CPU I recomended you, but it will work. In that list, the only CPUs NOT supported are the ones highlighted in yellow. If they are highlighted in yellow, they will not work. If you dont have the latest bios revision you may have to flash it to the latest.

As far as reusing the memory, that is old school SDRAM. You could technically, find a better board with SDRAM capability, but not likely, the board you have is pretty high end for its day. Newer boards use the new DDR, DDR2, or DDR3 interface, and SDRAM will not work with them, you will have to buy all new ram.

picard5.jpg

#9 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

Oh ok, I see what you mean now. :thumbsup:

So instead of buying a new CPU on that site or trying to find one. Buying a new motherboard with the CPU already on and getting new RAM. My Mom's pc needs more RAM. Maybe she can use my cards.

She was on a chat with Dell to see why her pc is slow and she only has 512MB. They say her MB is:
Your Motherboard is a
nemesis design board which uses the 915G chipset technology. Wherein it has
a built in audio, video and network card. It also has a PCI E x1 and x
16 slots. It has 533 & 800 MHz Front
Side Bus

Her paperwork says:Processor, 80547, Pentium 4 Prescott Dt, 3.0GHZ, 1
MEGB, 800FSB
Do you know if she could use my cards? I bought 512MB high performance PC1 133 MHz, CL3 SDRAM Module.

I just would like to know what motherboard to get. I do hope everything I have besides the RAM will be the same and fit.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

unfortunatly, no it will not. the 915G chipset your moms computer has uses DDR ram, it will only support DDR 333 and 400, SD ram will not work in it Im afraid. As far as newer motherboard, it all depends on how new of a motherboard your after and what kind of power supply you have, perhaps if you give us a budget on this (how much your willing to spend) as well as your Power supply specs (brand, watttage, and amperage, particularly on the +12v rails. theres a sticker on the side of the power supply unit that will give you that information) we can make some recomendations.

picard5.jpg

#11 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:26 PM

I don't have the paperwork for the power supply so I will have to take the cover off and look at it. It definitely won't be tonight! I will do that tomorrow and get that to you.
Thank you so much.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:55 PM

If this is a Dell-built PC, the power supply is probably not that great. This means you will probably need to update this too if you want to run newer components. Unless this is a gaming PC, power demands should not be too high. CPU's and motherboards are purchased separately, but all motherboards have, either in the manual or on the motherboard's site, a list of compatible CPU's you can use. It isn't that difficult to choose these components. All we need to know is your budget, your power supply specs, and the intended purpose for this PC.

3939.png

#13 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:48 PM

No this isn't a Dell. More like a clone! As far as games are concerned, I just got sucked in on Facebook's Farmville. Playing that and MahJongg is about the only games I do. But, I do use it as my encyclopedia and hate waiting for the pages to load.
I just need to see what the price would be for the mother board, CPU and maybe power supply and I am not sure about the video card versus a new computer. Maybe I will have to let go of this one. I am just doing my best not to give it up for him.

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:00 AM

well, heres the fastest CPU that will work in it http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-AXDL2600DLV4D-ATHL...=item1e5b901995 not to expensive, though like I said you may need a BIOS revision. I can make some motherboard, ram and faster CPU recomendations once you get back with us about your budget and PSU information.

picard5.jpg

#15 Camelot

Camelot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

I looked at the PS and had to take it out to look at the label. But, I didn't see anything about +12v rails. It is a Norwood Micro Switching PS model ISO-300
http://www.atxcases.com/item.asp?id=2253&a...ng-power-supply

This is the only link I could find resembling it yet, it doesn't say "Micro".

I did look at that Ebay link and what level is that CPU? I don't see where it says the number and GHz after it.

If all I have to do is buy this CPU and my pc will be faster and I don't have to change anything else then that would be cheaper. But, I just want to make sure that I still won't see the CPU usage jump to 100% in the Task Manger. If it still is going to get that high then it goes back to redoing the mother board.

I also don't know how to go about updating the BIOS if needed.

I don't want to spend a lot updating this one.

I just found out this morning that I do have the option of getting a new or refurbished one at Best Buy so I am wondering if I should just take that route and just keep his keyboard that he bought for me which is purple! Then just keep this pc as a backup in case something happens to the Best Buy one. The ones at Best Buy are around $400.00. But, again I wouldn't know which one to get.
It would be awesome if I do end up getting one of these after all and wonder if I can take out everything and put it in my box. Maybe take the measurement of the box I have now to see if it matches up to a new one. I don't know if that is possible.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemap...rentprice+skuid

The only reason I brought up the Best Buy is I was telling my Mom what I was doing and she told me she just got my step dad a pc at Best Buy for $400. and I had her go in his Task Manager and she watched the CPU usage and it never went above 40% when it loaded cnn.com page. His page loaded up so fast. This is what he has:
Dual Core Processor Speed 2.8GHZ

RAM 3 GB

Video Memory 256 MB shared; up to 1407 MB total available as allocated by Windows 7

Hard Drive 500 GB

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE graphics card: 256 MB shared video memory and up to 1407 MB total video memory as allocated by Windows 7. Support multi monitors and 6 speakers

Basic Word & Excel

But, he doesn't do any games so I would have to buy more memory for it. Or, the one I get might have more.

I just didn't think they were that cheap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users