Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron touchpad

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 westbrook

westbrook

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 05:57 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 4100, with touchpad. (Using Windows XP). Over a year ago I began having problems with the mouse cursor going beserk and travelling to the side of the screen and moving up to a corner and staying there. Usually this would happen when I picked the laptop up, squeezing the area around the pad. When I would use the touchpad to move the cursor, it would move erratically, and return to the corner. It would settle down after a while and become controllable--but was always ready to go crazy again if I picked the computer up. The touchpad click buttons worked ok. A USB mouse has worked ok, without showing these symptoms.
A few days ago, the touchpad click buttons died completely. I used my USB mouse to swith clicking to the right click button, and I'm having to get by with this.
But I had used the left click button ofter for its convenient menus.
I have reloaded the software for this Synaptics device, and now I'm sure it's a real hardware problem. I bought this computer in 2002, and I'd like to keep it for some time, but the warranty is over, and I'm afraid I'll have to live with this bad touchpad. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:47 PM

Hi westbrook,

How comfortable are you in working on a laptop? The repair would require opening the case and manipulating a couple of ribbon cables. You can contact Dell and purchase a new touchpad - or - send it in to them and have a Dell tech replace it. If you have never been inside of a laptop, I would recommend sending the unit back for repair... just to be safe.

Good luck

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users