Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autoruns

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 omurchu

omurchu

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 05:47 PM

Have downloaded Autorun and run a scan. However I can see no status with entries in the database.

Am I missing something obvious??

Many thanks, in advance.
Frank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:31 PM

Hi omurchu,

The Autoruns program doesn't list a status. The status will be found in the search results of the Startup Programs Database when you serch for information on a file that is listed there. Here's the key:

Each entry in the database will have a Status assigned to it. The key to this status is the following:

* Y - This status flag means that this entry should be left alone and be allowed to run as if it is unchecked it may break the functionality or use of a particular program.
    * N - This status flag means it is unnecessary to run this program automatically when Windows starts as you can run it manually when necessary.
    * U - This status flag means it is up to you whether or not you feel this program needs to run automatically.
    * X - This status flags means the item should definitely not start up automatically. Items that have this flag are generally malware such as viruses, trojans, hijackers, spyware, etc.
    * ? - This status flag means the status of this entry is unknown at this time and more research is necessary.

If the file is unknown, you will get a file not found message in the database.

If you are still having problems with Winstall.exe that you posted about here, I strongly urge you to post a HijackThis log as suggested in that thread. That file belongs to infections that change daily and it is impossible to to keep the self-help guide updated. It also may infect a critical system file that is very tricky to get fixed right.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users