Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating from 10.9 to 4.10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Reddoug

Reddoug

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

Hi

When updating from from 10.9 to 4.10 do I need to remove 10.9 to install 4.10? I am fairly new with Ubuntu. I have it dual booted with Vista on an HP laptop.

Thanks, Doug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:44 PM

If you're going from 9.10 to 10.4 (year.month) once 10.4 LTS is released you should be able to use the updater to upgrade to the latest version. That requires a good, stable, internet connection like cable. Otherwise you can download and burn the "Alternate Install CD" (This is my preferred method because upgrading has a possibility to Crash the system, so you may be forced to do a clean install, personal experience). Good luck! I'll be upgrading right beside you (only I'm going from the old LTS to the New LTS, which makes it more difficult).

All the info on upgrading to Ubuntu 10.4 you could ever want. http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading#...ernate%20CD/DVD

Posted Image

#3 Reddoug

Reddoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:43 PM

Thanks, Doug

#4 kelvincrispy

kelvincrispy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:36 AM

I had also switched recently to Ubuntu from windows and it is completely user friendly.
I must say your decision is absolutely right. I will also recommend to first take whole back up and then install because there are chances of facing some problems during installation and also install it by burning the "Alternate Install CD".

#5 Reddoug

Reddoug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:43 PM

Hi All

Was able to update to 4.10 today. Runs good. I like the layout. Will take a little getting use to closing window on the left side.

Thanks, Doug

#6 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:02 PM

Hi All

Was able to update to 4.10 today. Runs good. I like the layout. Will take a little getting use to closing window on the left side.

Thanks, Doug

Congrats on getting it working! You can move the buttons back to the right side if you prefer. (Howto here)

Edited by MadDawg, 02 May 2010 - 11:02 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users