Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 carolhall1

carolhall1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:39 PM

I have been using my Dell laptop (Win XP, SP3) on my home wireless network, AT&T U-verse, for some time now with no problems. However, today it will not connect. The signal is strong and the Windows repair tool says it cannot renew the IP addres. The network card is Intel Pro Wireless 2200 b/g, v. 21.3, driver v. 9.0.0.61. My desktop works fine, but it is ethernet connected. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:46 PM

Well, the universal first shot in the dark is to power cycle everything in the system, starting with your modem, wireless router, then desktop, then laptop. Don't just reboot the computers, shut them all the way down. If that doesn't fix it try connecting the laptop to the router with an ethernet cable. If that works then we have a wireless issue, if not then something else is broken. Let us know the outcome to that point and we will move along...

#3 carolhall1

carolhall1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

Well, the universal first shot in the dark is to power cycle everything in the system, starting with your modem, wireless router, then desktop, then laptop. Don't just reboot the computers, shut them all the way down. If that doesn't fix it try connecting the laptop to the router with an ethernet cable. If that works then we have a wireless issue, if not then something else is broken. Let us know the outcome to that point and we will move along...

I did power cycle all components - no help. Connecting with ethernet works fine. Next suggestion?

#4 carolhall1

carolhall1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:51 AM

I downloaded the latest driver from Intel
for my wireless card and it seems to be working OK now. Thanks.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

What you did is what I do with all problems involving wireless. After power cycling as suggested. =)

It takes like < 10 minutes to get the new driver and install it, even with a reboot.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 carolhall1

carolhall1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

Well, it happened again. After following your suggestions and downloading a new driver, my laptop worked fine for a while. Since I don't use the laptop regularly, I don't know when the problem happened but it won't connect today - same as before. Any suggestions?

#7 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

Can you connect to the router but not the internet?

If so when you try and connect to the internet what happens does it appear to load the page but never finish, or do you get 404 not found, just a white screen or connection has timed out.

If you cannot connect to the router what happens when you try and connect any error messages.

Are you using the intel pro wireless software to connect or the windows software(wireless zero configuration service wzc for short).

You should use one or the other.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#8 carolhall1

carolhall1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

As you can tell, I'm not real computer savvy, so bear with me. When I try to connect to the internet, I get the message "no connection to the internet is currently available". In the list of available networks, it shows I am connected to the correct one, so I disconnected and then reconnected - no help. When I hit the "Repair" button and after a few minnutes, it says "could not renew IP address. I do have a strong wireless signal, and I can connect to the internet with an ethernet cable.

#9 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:45 PM

Any computers or devices connected to your router via wireless or ethernet?

Edited by Darth sidious, 07 May 2010 - 01:48 PM.

HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#10 carolhall1

carolhall1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:53 PM

My desktop is the only other computer on the network, but it is ethernet connected. Printers are USB connected to the desktop. My laptop is the only wireless device used. Is this what you need?

#11 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:06 PM

Can you open a command prompt and type the following without the quotes and post the results back here, "ipconfig /all".

#12 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

On your router are using obtain an ip address automatically or are you using a static one?

Please post ipconfig/all results that retired now asked you to post.

Also which wireless software are you using intel proset or wzc?

#13 carolhall1

carolhall1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:17 PM

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name.....................Laptop
Primary DNS Suffix........
Node TYpe.....................Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled.........No
WINS Proxy Enabled.......No
DNS Suffix Search List....Gateway.2wire.net
Ethernet Adapter Wireless Network Configuration:
Connection specific DNS Suffix.......
Description....................Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 B/G Network
Connection
Physical Address............00-12-F0-29-9E-5E
DHCP Enabled................Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled..Yes
Autoconfiguration IP.......169.254.112.2
Subnet Mask...................255.255.0.0

I didn't know how to copy this information, so I manually entered it. Is this sufficient?

#14 Greenroomman

Greenroomman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:28 AM

Hi, I have a similar problem....
I have a PC running on Windows XP SP3. It "normally connects to my internet via usb wireless card (Belkin) to our Belkin modem. It sees the connection, BUT when I open Firefox I get the dreaded "Server not found" - "Problem loading page". In IE it's the same situation - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

I have reconfigured my IP / DNS info (Auto & then Manual)
IP: 192.168.2.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Def Gateway: 192.168.2.1
DHCP: 192.168.2.1
DNS: 192.168.2.1
WINS: [BLANK]

We have two other laptops & an iPhone that works 100% on the modem (i.e. IT IS NOT THE MODEM).

I have trawled through Google for an answer and I'm now sooo frustrated...
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

#15 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name.....................Laptop
Primary DNS Suffix........
Node TYpe.....................Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled.........No
WINS Proxy Enabled.......No
DNS Suffix Search List....Gateway.2wire.net
Ethernet Adapter Wireless Network Configuration:
Connection specific DNS Suffix.......
Description....................Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 B/G Network
Connection
Physical Address............00-12-F0-29-9E-5E
DHCP Enabled................Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled..Yes
Autoconfiguration IP.......169.254.112.2
Subnet Mask...................255.255.0.0

I didn't know how to copy this information, so I manually entered it. Is this sufficient?

Can you connect your Lapttop up to your router via an ethernet cable and see if you can connect to the internet, who is your isp?

Hi, I have a similar problem....
I have a PC running on Windows XP SP3. It "normally connects to my internet via usb wireless card (Belkin) to our Belkin modem. It sees the connection, BUT when I open Firefox I get the dreaded "Server not found" - "Problem loading page". In IE it's the same situation - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

I have reconfigured my IP / DNS info (Auto & then Manual)
IP: 192.168.2.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Def Gateway: 192.168.2.1
DHCP: 192.168.2.1
DNS: 192.168.2.1
WINS: [BLANK]

We have two other laptops & an iPhone that works 100% on the modem (i.e. IT IS NOT THE MODEM).

I have trawled through Google for an answer and I'm now sooo frustrated...
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

You say it sees the connection so it automatically connects to router no yellow triangle with exclamation mark?

When you try and connect to internet do it say waitng for www.orange.co.uk or looking for www.orange.co.uk for example then server not found or problem loading page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users