Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

start problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tcr

tcr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

Recently moved computer to new house. When I plugged power cord into socket computer "on" light started flashing rapidly. Can hear fan, monitor indicates no signal and pushing "on" key does nothing. Light just keeps flashing rapidly. It is a Emachine T2042. Any ideas of what is wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hi and Welcome to BleepingComputer!

Try unplugging the power cord and replugging it back in again and see if this helps to reset the power supply.

Make sure everything is hooked up properly.

I am not sure if this flashing is warning of a un-grounded condition, but this could be the case, your wall outlet or power strip is not wired correctly or there is a ground fault problem, meaning the outlet is not properly grounded to Earth.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 tcr

tcr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

Thanks. I'll give those a try. I'm going out there later today. I did try 2 different plug strips and a different power cord. I'll take a test meter too.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:06 PM

Im thinking that something is loose inside as the system was moved recently.

Unplug it and open the case.
Reseat all cables, memory and internal cards.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 tcr

tcr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

Thanks, will do.

#6 tcr

tcr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

Brought it home and swapped mobo from old emachine I had did everything but boot. so I'm getting Mom a new mobo & cpu. It's my understanding that since operating system was part of original desktop that I need OEM mobo or new op system.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

Brought it home and swapped mobo from old emachine I had did everything but boot. so I'm getting Mom a new mobo & cpu. It's my understanding that since operating system was part of original desktop that I need OEM mobo or new op system.

From reading your post I believe you are asking if you need to get a new copy of your operating system.

Well I know the Emachine computers come with an OEM copy of windows, so if you changed the motherboard and it is not one from Emachines, then the install will not happen as the installation disk will check for the motherboards chipset string and BIOS code, which has to match.

If you have a motherboard made by another manufacturer, you will need to purchase a retail copy of Windows.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 tcr

tcr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

Thanks. That's what I thought. The old chipset id 845G. I found one with 845GL from a emachine but don't know if tha's compatible. You're sdaying any emachine mobo with 845 chipset will do?

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:41 PM

Thanks. That's what I thought. The old chipset id 845G. I found one with 845GL from a emachine but don't know if tha's compatible. You're sdaying any emachine mobo with 845 chipset will do?

What I am saying is when a computer manufactuerer like Emachines sells computers they burn a copy of the OS they license from Microsoft onto a disk which is designed to install only on one of their computers, there is a motherboard hardware ID built into a motherboard, the Emachines installation disk's software includes a string that orders the motherboard chip to report its HARDWARE ID, if the string does not match, the installation is prevented and an error code is produced on the screen saying you can not install this software.

Most Emachines motherboards have the same hardware ID, so chances are good it should proceed with the install.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 April 2010 - 07:53 PM.

#10 tcr

tcr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:46 PM

Thank you very much for the help.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

Thank you very much for the help.

You're most welcome, that's what we are here for.

Hope everything goes well, if not, you know we're the ones to turn too for answers. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users