Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think i have a virus, and i cant get rid of it

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Strangeparoxysm

Strangeparoxysm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:38 AM

When i turned the computer on this morning, no programs on the task bar loaded like they usually do, and the sidebar didn't either. I also can't get on the internet, and it says i have to find the program to open it with. I tried downloading hijack this, but when i installed it, it won't let me open it. I have McAfee, but it won't load either, and the Windows Defender says nothing is wrong. I don't know what to do, or how to fix this, because my computer won't let anything load. I tried restarting the computer too, but it didn't help. I have Windows vista, and also, when I'd try to open the internet, a "save file" box came up, and said, wuapp.exe. Please help me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

Are you on another computer right now? If so, probably your best bet is to download Malwarebytes and SUPERAntispyware to a flash drive on the good computer that can get online, and then using the flash drive to install either one (preferably both) on the infected machine. Please take a close look at the instructions in each link I posted and I would probably recommend downloading the rkill to the flash drive that is also listed in the instructions.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will try and help.

#3 Strangeparoxysm

Strangeparoxysm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

I'm on the computer thats infected, i found a way to at least get internet. And I tried downloading the anti virus software, but my computer won't let me download anything, it always says application not found, and my computer also keeps saying I have to set the association in the control panel, with everything i click on.

Edited by Strangeparoxysm, 25 April 2010 - 02:56 PM.

#4 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

Do you have another computer that you can download those programs to and then a flash drive to transfer them over to the infected computer?

If not, try booting into safe mode with networking by using the F8 method. Don't use the other methods mentioned as it could cause more harm than good. The instructions can be found here.

Once you are in safe mode with networking, try going to the links I posted above for Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware. If you can then get them downloaded and installed, then do a complete scan using SUPERAntispyware.

The please post the SAS and MBAM logs if possible.

If it won't let you into safe mode by throwing a blue screen at you, just turn off the computer and then let it reboot back into normal mode.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions as I'm happy to help. :thumbsup:

#5 Strangeparoxysm

Strangeparoxysm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

Ok, i did all the things you said, and then restarted my computer, and it seems to be working fine now. Thank you! :thumbsup:

#6 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:37 PM

I would also do a full scan in normal mode using MBAM and then do another full scan with SUPERAntispyware in safe mode just to be safe. Better to be safe than sorry. I would also try an online scanner such as BitDefender for another opinion.

Also try doing some google searches such as "free av" or maybe avast or avg. Then try clicking on the first few links that come up to make sure you aren't getting redirected or have any additional problems.

Once you have done that, I would follow these instructions posted by boopme that detail how to make your system restore is cleared of any previous infections. Don't worry about the other parts of the post, just the system restore portion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users