Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Cursor movements

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Teochter

Teochter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

Hi everyone
I am experiencing a weird effect with my cursor. It would appear that the cursor on my Laptop has a will of it's own! Without my executing any commands whatsoever, my cursor simply wanders off across my screen like a demented spider. It just randomly wanders of towards the edge of my screen. Has anyone ever experienced this before; and if so, how do I identify and cure whatever this condidtion is?

Best
Ian

Edited by Pandy, 27 April 2010 - 04:20 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to a more appropriate forum ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

Do you have touchpad on your laptop ? You may have to reduce sensitivity of touchpad from Control Panel. Also check the HandCheck option for accidental thumb brushing on touchpad when typing.

#3 Teochter

Teochter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

Do you have touchpad on your laptop ? You may have to reduce sensitivity of touchpad from Control Panel. Also check the HandCheck option for accidental thumb brushing on touchpad when typing.

Hi Romeo29
Many thanks for your prompt, (and very welcome), response to my request for help. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P10-504, it does have a touchpad, but I never use it for the reasons you mention! I have an optical mouse plugged into a USB side port, which I use at all times.

This random cursor movement is more than a little worrying, to say the least, as it's just as if someone is remotely controlling my mouse. What concerns me is, if this is true, what else might they be controlling? Someone has suggested I run CombiFix, but I know that I should not do that without supervision. I'd be very grateful for any help/guidance you can give me.

Best regards

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

Hi Teochter,

If the random movement happens only when you type, then it may be because of your palms brushing on the touchpad surface.

If you think that your PC in being controlled by someone outside, then it can be done only by using malware or trojan program. Do not run combofix on your own. The best people to give advice to you is the BC HJT team.

I will ask this thread to be moved to AII (Am I infected) section. Follow the instructions they give you in that section.

Have a nice day :thumbsup:

#5 Teochter

Teochter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:15 AM

:thumbsup: Just discovered how to track this message that Romeo29 kindly moved over here for me! The random cusor movements I refer to only happen when I'm holding my mouse, in my right hand: the other hand is not touching my laptop. So,I can't be inadvertantly brushing the touchpad with either hand! I'd be grateful if anyone can throw any light on this thing for me.
Best
Teochter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users