Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD in new build Win 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chris6690

chris6690

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:16 AM

I have just completed a new build and i am getting frequent bsod's that come in several varieties. I have read some of the other posts on this subject but i wanted to start a new one to make sure i did it right. So far i have made sure all my drivers are up to date but i have not tried to remove any hardware yet. i downloaded and ran bluescreenview and came up with 4 reports i will post them next. here are my specs...

AMD X4 955
4x2 GB gskill DDR3
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
Windows & 64 bit
Asus m4a78t-e Mobo
WD Caviar Black drive w/640 GB
i also have a wireless card and a SB Audigy card

I have had multiple crashes including one where it did an auto scandsk where it found multiple drive errors that it auto fixed. im hoping its just the Ram but idk. will post bluescreen scan next.

==================================================
Dump File : 042510-34975-01.dmp
Crash Time : 4/25/2010 8:51:53 PM
Bug Check String : NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
Bug Check Code : 0x00000024
Parameter 1 : 00000000`001904fb
Parameter 2 : fffff880`02f85418
Parameter 3 : fffff880`02f84c80
Parameter 4 : fffff800`02d1903a
Caused By Driver : Ntfs.sys
Caused By Address : Ntfs.sys+213d8
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\042510-34975-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600

Dump File : 042510-22557-01.dmp
Crash Time : 4/25/2010 8:18:26 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1 : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff800`02b68bb9
Parameter 3 : fffff880`091faa60
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+70600
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.16539 (win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\042510-22557-01.dmp

Dump File : 042410-26660-01.dmp
Crash Time : 4/24/2010 10:44:18 AM
Bug Check String : NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
Bug Check Code : 0x00000024
Parameter 1 : 00000000`001904fb
Parameter 2 : fffff880`08e79f08
Parameter 3 : fffff880`08e79760
Parameter 4 : fffff880`010d853e
Caused By Driver : Ntfs.sys
Caused By Address : Ntfs.sys+a753e
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\042410-26660-01.dmp

Dump File : 042410-16832-01.dmp
Crash Time : 4/24/2010 9:58:52 AM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1 : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff960`0030058a
Parameter 3 : fffff880`0384ae70
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : win32k.sys
Caused By Address : win32k.sys+22058a
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\042410-16832-01.dmp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chris6690

chris6690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

well we can also add random app crashes to the list. can anyone give me a next step. should i start taking ram out? should i download that memtest thing.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

Start with a Memtest then follow that up with a hard drive diagnostic test if you see no memory errors. If the tests come back clean, then I would start performing updates to all my hardware.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:21 PM

***** A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 chris6690

chris6690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:44 PM

ok so i was waiting to get a blank cd to try memtest, i just got it. in the mean time i booted one stick at a time and everything went fine. im not sure what was supposed to happen, i assume the rig would not start if there was a bad stick? or beep horrible at me or something idk. anyway i will run the memtest tonight and post the results tomorrow. is there anything else that could be causing this problem other than the ram? i mean i guess the vid card but could it be something wrong with my OS install? or perhaps my sound card/wireless card? i tried to get a driver for the wireless card but they dont seem to have on for windows 7 but the card is working fine. could that still be the problem?

o also, the memtest is to be run with only one stick in the MOBO is that right? just do it one at a time?

Edited by chris6690, 26 April 2010 - 06:45 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:11 PM

ok so i was waiting to get a blank cd to try memtest, i just got it. in the mean time i booted one stick at a time and everything went fine. im not sure what was supposed to happen, i assume the rig would not start if there was a bad stick? or beep horrible at me or something idk. anyway i will run the memtest tonight and post the results tomorrow. is there anything else that could be causing this problem other than the ram? i mean i guess the vid card but could it be something wrong with my OS install? or perhaps my sound card/wireless card? i tried to get a driver for the wireless card but they dont seem to have on for windows 7 but the card is working fine. could that still be the problem?

o also, the memtest is to be run with only one stick in the MOBO is that right? just do it one at a time?

Memtest would have listed on its screen while it was running that it found an errors or problems with the memory, if you did not see any errors listed than it passed the test.

You should also run memtest with both sticks in at the same time, if you haven't already done that.

As for what else it could be, well it could be a connection problem somewhere on the motherboard, I do a lot of hardware troubleshooting so thats one of my specialties.

I have found some errors are easily repaired just by unplugging data cables from the harddrives and plugging them back in again, with the power supply disconnected of course.

You could try that, since you already removed and re-installed the memory, we know now it's not an issue with the connection between the RAM modules and the slots.

Just one word of caution though, please any time you work inside the computer, always keep one hand grounded to the metal casing of the tower, because static electricity from your body can damage the parts found inside the computer. :huh:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 chris6690

chris6690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:27 AM

ok so i ran memtest. i did it with al 4 sticks in tho because i forgot to take them out. any chance memtest only checks the first 2 DIMMS? i will prob take to out and run it again tonight. MOST IMPORTANT... i got one error out of 7 passes. i dont know if there is anyway to see specifically which ram it was... ill just have to take 2 out and run it again since i have to send both sticks back at the same time to newegg. i also rechecked all my connections and there sin;t seem to be an issue. could not get sfc to work past like 20%, something about the windows protection thing not able to perfom the action. i dont know if that is indicative of anything.

#8 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

You would be required to take a stick out and just have one in at once, its not too long i did it when my pc was playing up.

also. i beleive NTFS.sys is your file system? if it was a bluescreen ofc. sometimes when ram goes wrong you get lockups. like in my sirtuation, no bsod. just a lockup.

Try the harddrive test, i beleive a good one is SeaTools for windows, no matter what HDD you have. it will work. it is comprehensive although i dont know any ISO burning ones apart from the one on Windows. (there is i just dont know which)

Good Luck!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:01 PM

I would have run the hard drive diagnostic first...since anything on a bad hard drive...could be expected to be out of whack.

Those STOP 24 messages indicate a possible problem with the file system, as has been pointed out. If that's the case, trying to run chkdsk /r may provoke an error message indicating that it cannot continue or that there is a problem with NTFS that needs attention.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users