Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wanting to upgrade memory

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 whogordon

whogordon

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

I have a dell dimension 4600 computer capable of maximum of 4gb of memory.I run 32 bit windows xp OS. I have 2gb 4x512 now .actualy running on 1gb now 2x512 since memtest discovered i had a bad /damaged ram stick,and I believe its not good to run only one memory stick inserted into the other dual channel slot.(is that correct?)

I was looking at memory on crucial.com and saw this.

( Q: Will my system recognize the maximum upgrade?

A: Possibly

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found at http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=4251. )

So,if i max out my memory to 4gb does it mean I will not even be utilizing some of that memory,or will my computer and other programs I will be running utilize it.
Would it be a waste of the memory?And should I just build up to 3 gb of memory?

Thank you :thumbsup:

Edited by whogordon, 25 April 2010 - 08:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:21 AM

Your OS will not utilize that last 1/2 to 1 gig of ram. You must have a 64 bit OS to use all 4 gig. That's why I went to win7, 64 bit, so I could use 4 gig of ram..

If you plan to go to 64 bit, I would get the 4 gig. If not, then just use 3 gig... IMHO... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 whogordon

whogordon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

thank you wildbeast.
now i have samsung 512mb ddr pc2700 cl 2.5 currently installed in my computer.i am thinking of buying 2 x 1gb of crucial brand DDR PC3200 CL=3 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR400 2.6V 128Meg x 64 . to make up 3gb total.
i understand they are backwards compatible so will run at the slower speed pc2700(333mhz) speed. also speaking to crucial website,they said it should not be a problem ,to run 2x512mb samsung pc2700 in 1 channel ,and 2 x1 gb crucial pc3200 in the other.

the reason i am thinking buying the pc3200
the pc 2700 and 3200 are the same price on crucial currently,and if in the future i decide to update to a 64 bit OS then i can/will purchase 2 more 1gb pc3200 to max out the memory and run at 400mhz.
i think im making sense ,im pretty much a noob(newbie right?)LOL

thanks

Edited by whogordon, 25 April 2010 - 08:42 AM.

#4 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

That's a good plan. You'll see a big improvement in program load time and better multitasking, and the system freezes will be gone now that xp will have room to work.

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

No. nein. negative. I'll give you 15:1 that your memory is DUAL CHANNEL. That means it works in pairs. You use 2-4-8-16-32 GB's not 3-6-9-12.

get the 4 GB's. The loss of the roughly .5GB won't be as noticably as the gain of .5GB

#6 whogordon

whogordon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:00 PM

deathstalker,
if you were replying to me.yes its dual channel. 4 slots for memory inside my puter for max 1gbx4 =4gb max.slots 1-3 are one channel and 2-4 are the other.im confused by your comment of 3 6 9 12 gbs? are you saying i need to run each dual channel all the same meaning 4 1 gb in each slot for total of 4gb ,as opposed to 2-1gb in one channel and 2 512mb in the other channel for a total of 3gb.
are you saying they should be installed in "matching pairs" meaning 2 x1gb and 2x1gb ,as opposed to 2x1gb and 2x512..
like i said ,newbie here,learning everyday
thanks

Edited by whogordon, 25 April 2010 - 12:01 PM.

#7 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Either get 2-2GB sticks and place them in slots 1 and 3 for 4 GB's total. Or get 4-1GB sticks (in two pairs) and place one PAIR in 1 and 3 and the other PAIR in 2 and 4.

Don't mix and match. It doesn't work.

As such, even though you lose .5GB of the 4 GB's installed, you gain 1.5 GB's over just having 2GB's installed.

Wow RAM has gone up slightly since the last time I looked. For a while you could get 4 GB's of DDR2 800Mhz for almost nothing.

#8 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

The 32bit xp systems will show anywhere between 2.9gb and 3.5gb when you add 4gb. I added 4gb to xp and it only registers 2.9gb. I added 4gb to another xp system and it shows 3.5gb. Both systems use the Crucial DDR PC3200 CL=3 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR400 2.6V 128Meg x 64 ram you're referring to. It is always best to do as DS posted but your cheaper option would likely work too as crucial said if you don't want to spend more for the 4gb upgrade. A friend who is a computer builder told me awhile back that he has been mixing ram for years for customers who can't afford full upgrades and he had a system not acknowledge all of the ram only once so it would likely work. If you can afford the full upgrade I'd do that though.

#9 whogordon

whogordon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

DS
I am not sure from experience but crucial chat live option,the guy I spoke with said it should not be a problem to mix the 2 512 in one channel amd the 2 1gb in the other.Money isnt really an issue as far as that goes, so I could and probably will go to 4gb 4x1gb sticks.The thought of maxing to 4gb when the possibility that its only going to use/recognize 3gb kinda stinks but oh well.maybe I will luck out and it will show 3.5gb.I suppose eventually I will break down and get a 64 bit OS so the 4bg will be good to have prior to that.I could not go 2x 2gb sticks as my dell dimension 4600 only supports up to 1 gb sticks ,I believe

thanks for your feedback guys.
I was also doing some preliminary reading here about possible various options pertaining to my issue(not sure if i can post the links but i will try)

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2...gement-101.aspx
http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2...ifying-3gb.aspx
http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2...e-s-my-ram.aspx

#10 whogordon

whogordon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

well guys thanks for all your input
I bought 4 1gb crucial memory .2 of the 1gb were for my brothers computer,but before I turned them over to him,I plugged all 4 gb's into my computer and it recognized 3.66 gb's(dell dimension 4600)I guess I am one of the lucky ones as some say their same system only recognizes between 3 and 3.5 gb's when 4 gb's are installed.
Anyways now i have 2 1gbs crucial memory in one channel and 2 512 mbs of the original dell stock(samsung) in the other channel.Seems to be running fine for me with the mixed brand memory. But now that I know if I have 4gb's it will recognize 3.66gb's I want to buy 2 more 1gbs.Maybe when my brother is sleeping I will pull the switcharoonie,steal his 2 1 gb's and slip him my 2 512 mb modules.Think he will notice .HAHA
Thanks again....

#11 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

4 gb's into my computer and it recognized 3.66 gb's(dell dimension 4600)I guess I am one of the lucky ones as some say their same system only recognizes between 3 and 3.5 gb's when 4 gb's are installed.

That's not the case, as it varies for most people.
It depends on how much system memory, your graphics chipset/card utilizes.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 12 May 2010 - 08:25 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:33 AM

You can install 4GB of RAM on 32-bit operating systems, but unless you have a 64-bit OS, you are capped at 3.5GB or so due to memory addressing. If you use an on-board graphics card, its video memory probably comes from RAM. In that case, even if you installed a 64-bit OS, the amount of usable memory would be decreased since a portion of it will be taken by the graphics card.

3939.png

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

I have systems with 4GB dual-channel, with 512MB for onboard video. When I check the My Computer/Properties data, both systems reflect 3.37 available. So, it appears that anything up to 3.875GB would be possible on my systems, if I used an installed video card.

Actually, it's incorrect to say that these numbers bandied about....are "recognized", they are residuals available after the basic functions others have elaborated on. Onboard memory has reduced RAM available for other system operations...since it has been introduced.

To see what's recognized...use the msinfo32 RAM figure...and you will see 4GB for the installed.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 May 2010 - 04:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users