Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie here, be gentle!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:04 AM

Hey there, I am a fairly computer literate individual who would like to further my knowledge of computers in general as well as a little programming and networking tossed in.

I have a question and due to it being my bedtime(it's 6 am here, and I work nights) I will post this here and welcome a Moderator to put it in the right place.

I have a Gateway LT series netbook that is my primary PC ATM, and I am attempting to sell it to get funding for a full size laptop. I would very much like to completely overwrite and erase my hard disk whilst saving the OS, since a lack of an optical drive and recovery disk prevent me from reinstalling Windows 7 without purchasing it, and that would destroy my profit margin. How do I absolutely erase my disc? I have tried Ccleaner with free space wipe enabled, and that did not erase everything. Any freeware recovery software can bring back a lot even after a ccleaner wipe. What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Memphis T-shirt

Memphis T-shirt

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:49 AM

Hey there, I am a fairly computer literate individual who would like to further my knowledge of computers in general as well as a little programming and networking tossed in.

I have a question and due to it being my bedtime(it's 6 am here, and I work nights) I will post this here and welcome a Moderator to put it in the right place.

I have a Gateway LT series netbook that is my primary PC ATM, and I am attempting to sell it to get funding for a full size laptop. I would very much like to completely overwrite and erase my hard disk whilst saving the OS, since a lack of an optical drive and recovery disk prevent me from reinstalling Windows 7 without purchasing it, and that would destroy my profit margin. How do I absolutely erase my disc? I have tried Ccleaner with free space wipe enabled, and that did not erase everything. Any freeware recovery software can bring back a lot even after a ccleaner wipe. What do I do?

Disclaimer... I use (and recommend) CCleaner, but I've never tried using their 'free space wipe".

I'm having a problem with your statement "and that did not erase everything". How could you tell? Windows Explorer?
What particularly stood out as "not wiped"?

Just in case, read this. See if you are running the version of CCleaner mentioned (or later).
http://www.worthinstalling.com/2009/03/upd...ace-wiping.html

There's also the possibility that something you tried to wipe wasn't supposed to be wiped, and CCleaner didn't do that for your own good. (that's what you get for admitting to being a n00b.. :thumbsup: )

Seriously though, wiping the free space won't remove 'you' from the computer. There can be many places in the Windows registry (and browser fill-in stuff, etc) that may hide personal info that you don't want on the machine when you sell it. I've seen this happen on many second-hand computers.

Are you absolutely sure you don't have a "Gateway Restore" system (often a hidden partition on the hard drive, accessed by pressing a specific key during bootup)? That may be why you don't think you have wiped the drive with CCleaner, and also the answer to doing a 'clean' reinstall for resale.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:00 PM

If your netbook doesn't have a system recovery partition, see if the instructions HERE would work for you. I've never seen a netbook that has one, though, so you'll most likely have to make your own disks.

There is a small cost involved if you decide to buy an external DVD drive, but maybe you can offer to sell it to a buyer along with the netbook. Throw in something like "you will need this if you ever have to reinstall the OS from the disks I'm giving you".

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 April 2010 - 11:04 PM.

#4 gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:23 AM

Thanks for responding. I am using Ccleaner, and I am using the "wipe free space" option. The operation takes about an hour to complete. Then I use a free version of diskdigger and use the advanced setting, and it digs up crap from months ago that should have been wiped with the last scan.

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:17 PM

Hello gadgetguy35,

Have a look HERE.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users