Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade CPU Or RAM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike19865586

Mike19865586

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:21 AM

I currently have the following:
1.6GHZ P4 Williamette with a 400MHZ FSB
-Abit SD7-533 Motherboard
-768 MB PC2100 DDR Memory
-Windows XP

and I am wanting to upgrade the cpu to a:
-2.8GHZ P4 Northwood with a 400MHZ FSB

http://www.buy.com/prod/intel-pentium-4-2-.../208166365.html

I would go ahead and upgrade everything, but a new processor or some additional memory is all that I can afford right now. This will only be a temporary fix. I am guessing that a CPU upgrade will be worth it due to the fact that when I check physical memory usage, I usually come up with (Free=400-470MB), but my CPU usage is constantly maxed out at 100%.

Is it worth it? I mainly use my computer for multitasking and watching online videos. Rarely do I use it for gaming.

Any input would be appreciated.

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:51 AM

Frankly, that PC is so old you may want to just save your cash and spend it on a new system. According to Abit's website, that CPU may work, but I cannot find anything that says definitively that all Socket 478 CPU's are compatible if they have a 400MHz. FSB. That is a single core CPU and given the processing power needed for some online videos, some Pentium 4's struggle to keep up. As for the RAM, I say go for that as it is probably more cost effective than a new CPU and you should see a boost in performance. With 500MB of 768MB total RAM being used, that would easily lead to a slow system, even with the old XP dinosaur. According to your motherboard's manual, you can have three sticks of PC2100 memory up to 3GB or two sticks of PC2700 up to 2GB. Buying two PQI POWER Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 266 RAM kits should give that PC a little more time. This is probably just a stopgap measure, you will need to replace that PC soon and none of the parts you will be buying, whether it is CPU or RAM, are compatible with newer motherboards.

3939.png

#3 SurfNinja

SurfNinja

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

I agree with the above post, save some cash and get a new machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users