Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unknown process in task manager

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 queenbeecanada

queenbeecanada

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:54 AM

i hope i am putting this info in the right place, i'm kinda new to writing in forums. i often come to this site to check what certain processes in the task manager are and what they are there for. a couple of days ago i downloaded a program and found out later that it was some kind of virus or malware. my internet explorer kept openning multiple pages at a time , all were for different kinds of ads. other than that happening nothing else seemed to have changed on my system. so i ran malware-bytes and avg antivirus they both picked up some virus and malware, i took regular action for eliminating both problems, rebooted and still the same thing was happening, i turned off system restore,then rebooted into safe mode and ran Malware-bytes, disk cleanup , a registry repair program . then rebooted and turned on system restore. thought all was safe again , until about 10 minutes being back on that the internet explorer started doing it's thing again !!!! so i checked the task manager and looked for any process that didn't look familiar, and would'nt you know it , i found a very odd process running Vgemia.exe , so i tried to google it and it could not find any reference to this process, i also searched on bleeping computer.com and could not find any info at all anywhere on the net. so i decided to wing it and try to get rid of it. this is what i did and so far it seems to have worked (just in case anyone out there comes across this problem ). i am running windows xp pro -service pack3
go to start and click on search, then type in Vgemia.exe and search in all files and folders , then click search. 2 items matching that name were found and displayed, looking at the path i found them to be in the windows folder, so i deleted them both. then turn off system restore and reboot into safe mode by tapping the F5 key as soon as it starts booting . once in safe mode run disk cleanup , malwarebytes -complete scan not quick scan ( it shouldn't find anything now), then open internet explorer click on tools , internet options, delete browsing history, and if you have any other type of internet browser you should also delete it's browsing history, when it's done close all open pages , reboot normally . turn on system restore and run malwarebytes again ( and again it should not find anything) . i've kept an eye on my windows folder and task manager and have not found anything related to Vgemia.exe , so far so good and internet explorer is back to normal :thumbsup: so there it is, i don't know if this is a new strain of virus or malware and not many people know about as i could not find anything about it on the net. i hope this can help someone else who might be in this position too :flowers:

EDIT: Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected, more appropriate forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 25 April 2010 - 07:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

hi queenbeecanada,

That's good info, but I'm not familiar with that file either so I can't be much help there. Have you run a temp file cleaner such as TFC by Old Timer?

I would also do a final check using SUPERAntispyware, followed by another program called Dr.Web CureIt.

I'm a firm believer that you can never be too careful so I would then follow up with BitDefender which is a free online malware scanner.

If you still have a copy of the file available, you could upload it to a site like www.virustotal.com which will then scan it using several different antivirus programs giving you a better idea on whether it's malware or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users