Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! Windows ME is all screwed up.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gw8t3st

gw8t3st

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 02:05 PM

I was playing some of my computer games (in windowed mode) until i saw explorer reset itself. Im on windows ME, and i have everything in High color mode. Once explorer reset itself, everything looked like 256 colors. I couldnt open internet explorer, or click on the start menu. I decided to restart the computer. When it loaded up, my wallpaper was gone and it was replaced by the defult blue background. I still cant open internet explorer or go in the start menu. I restarted and went to safe mode, where i still couldnt click on start (but i could browse around "My computer"). I went straight to system restore but when i executed it the first time, nothing happened. I double clicked again and a blank window opened up. So im back on regular windows (not safe mode) and seeking help. All my settings for my other programs are resetted aswell. Does anyone know what happened or how i can fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:48 PM

Are you saying that you have Windows normal mode now with access to the Start menu and IE?

Do you have an ME CD?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 gw8t3st

gw8t3st
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:57 PM

It's normal right now, but i cant access IE, or the start menu.. I'm on firefox. And unfortunately, no i do not have a Win ME cd...

EDIT: I used the shortcut (windowsbutton) + R to open the run command window, and went into the registry. It seems i can't access anything in the registry either.

When i try and go into my computer, it displays the message

"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly."

I went to internet properties to set it on low, but there is no text there! I cant even move the thingy.

Edited by gw8t3st, 25 September 2005 - 05:02 PM.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 05:25 PM

Sure sounds like a malware infection. Perhaps you should post a log in the HiJack Forum.

Before you do that though, go back to the screen where you get Safe Mode and pick Command Prompt only. Type in the following:

scanreg /fix

just like that with the space. See if that helps.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 gw8t3st

gw8t3st
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 05:40 PM

On the start up menu, i only have three options:

Normal Mode
Safe Mode
Log (something.txt)
Step by step confirmation

Am i suppose to go elsewhere for the Command Prompt only?

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 05:58 PM

No, if its not there you can't get it without a bootdisk. You can make one if you can get to Control Panel>Add Remove Programs and pick the startup disk tab. Boot with that and run scanreg /fix. You may need to go into the Bios to set the A: or floppy or legacy disk drive to first in the boot order to boot with the floppy you create.

#7 gw8t3st

gw8t3st
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:20 PM

ok ok i couldnt make a startup disk on my computer, but i went on my other (XP) computer and made one. I'm in the commpand prompt, but when i type in scanreg /fix, it says bad command or file name

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:29 PM

Don't think an XP disk will work with ME. Go to www.bootdisk.com and download an ME boot disk. What you will get is an .exe file that makes a boot disk so run the download with a floppy in the drive to make it and boot the ME with that.

#9 gw8t3st

gw8t3st
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:45 PM

Omg! It worked!
Leurgy, you're a godsend

>.> i owe you big time

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:49 PM

Right on gw8t3st. Us hosers have to look after each other, eh? :thumbsup:

Sounds like your game crashed and corrupted the registry, so the scanreg /fix was able to recover it. Glad I was able to help. :flowers:

#11 gw8t3st

gw8t3st
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:26 PM

haha, im back >.>

since i did the scanreg /fix thing, my icons are all in 256 colours.

sometimes when im browsing through my folders, i get an error and the window closes. (one of those typical explorer has caused an error ones)

did i do something wrong last time?

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:02 AM

What happens when you try to change your resolution? Do you see any problem devices in Device Manager?

#13 gw8t3st

gw8t3st
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 05:56 PM

it changes normally, and theres nothing wrong in my device manager

#14 gw8t3st

gw8t3st
  • Topic Starter