Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC hangs and sometimes shuts itself completely off!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KillOnSight

KillOnSight

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:28 AM

I have a decent computer, amd x2, 8800gt video card 2gb ram windows XP home sp3, recently bought a psu 500w, clean of virus, spyware and such..

I started to get hangs in the computer lately. A week ago I had a bsod stating something about the video card or nvidia driver. I don't know the exact reason since I wrote it down but my girlfriend tossed the paper away. I did a restore and it hasn't blue screened me yet. My computer is very clean no spyware, virus and such I'm very good at that stuff and also cleaning the whole computer and registry. One day I was playing an online game and I decided to record(make video)with a program while I was playing and the computer just shutdown on me. Everything else like the monitor and speakers were on. I tried it again and it happened again. So, I'm guessing its happening under heavy load. I just cant pin point it to the processor, video card, psu, or ram or HD. I used speedfan and here are my results:

GPU and Core is around 58C they are always changing at the same rate so I'm guessing the core is a GPU core?. I read around and they said the 8000gt's will run that hot
Voltage Core1=1.31 Core2= 1.90 (+3.3=3.4) (+5=5.13) (+12=11.97) (-12= -0.43) (-5 = -8.48) (VBat= 3.04)

I seem to only have 1 Fan on there that says 1896Rpm but I have 2 case fans, 1 processor fan, GPU fan and PSU fan and all are in good working order I checked.

Currently I'm running Hot Cpu tester. The last one I did, I stopped it early cause I thought the computer froze on me and it said no errors.
I'm trying to leave it on for 6 hours while I sleep.

I also uploaded the Speed Fan results. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help diagnose this problem. Attached File  speedfan_results.JPG   101.32KB   11 downloads
Thank you very much

EDIT: Moved from XP forum to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 25 April 2010 - 07:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

I would try and update your video card driver. Also you said you clean your registry? Here is some info on Bleepingcomputers stance on registry cleaners:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

After you update your driver be sure to post back if you are still having any problems, Also:

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Do that and if you don't see any entries then don't worry if you do see some entries then post them in your next reply. :thumbsup:

Edited by computerxpds, 25 April 2010 - 03:21 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 KillOnSight

KillOnSight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:22 PM

Shows nothing on Blue Screen View. I think it's because I did a system restore after I got the BSOD. It was a while ago. The computer was sooooo laggy it was almost impossible to work with. I did what you told me to and installed new video drivers.
To my surprise the system actually got better. It's manageable now. I could actually load mozilla and see what the page is displaying. But it is still slow. I did uninstall a few programs and disconnected one of my drives to see if it was a power issue.
Ran Data lifeguard - everything is okay
Ran Hot Cpu tester - everything is okay

The weird thing is that I took out the Videocard to test it out and clean it. When I put it back on, the computer didn't want to load up the display. I took out one of my RAM on the right slot and it worked. After that I pulled out the videocard, both ram, looked at it a bit, and then put it back. Now it works. oO?

It even runs a bit slower than usual on Safe mode.

But how would you explain the computer fully shutting down? Can a videocard driver force it to do that? I mean, most of the time when that happens you would only get a BSOD and a restart.

BTW here is an update of speedfan, it seems that once things started getting better, the temp is increasing.
Attached File  speedfan_results2.JPG   100.61KB   8 downloads
thanks for the reply

Edited by KillOnSight, 25 April 2010 - 06:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users